You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Import error with font stroke

Though the new 1.8.4 version is vastly improved, the import feature still produces errors: when importing .ai file, all the text is separated into the text and the outline (stroke), with the outline now being placed correctly (it was shifted in previous AD versions), but still separate and with an incorrect font chosen as well (default, Arial). See attached animation for what I mean.

ADimportError.gif

I'm afraid not, both the font and the files are restricted. It was saved using latest Illustrator CC, for what's it worth.

What's even more weird is that the expanded stroke appears to be off the original font, yet in AD it says it's Arial with fill=0 and stroke = 0.5pt (as you can see in the animation).

Ok, I've just created a new .ai file, in Illustrator CS 5 (v15.0.2), with 3 letters: Open Sans, My own font and Arial. After opening in AD, all three behave like in the animation above. The outline is expanded and separated and is marked as Arial, the stroke are fonts.

Here is the file (attached).

test.ai

• Staff

It's not an issue, it's just the way text is exported from any software. "Stroke" is not part of the font component, so will always get separated. 

You can try to add a "Stroke" in Layer Style in Photoshop, Save as PSD, and then import the PSD. That will bring in the Stroke, but as part of the Layer Effects > Outine.