You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher for Windows - 1.8.4

• Staff

We are pleased to announce an update for the Windows release of Affinity Publisher, version 1.8.4

Changes in this build

The changes in Affinity Publisher for Windows 1.8.4 (over the last release Affinity Publisher for Windows 1.8.3) are as follows:

Fixes & Improvements:

General

• [Installer] Prevent installation into non-empty directory
  • Fixed recent regression when saving Linked Image placeholders which was causing large document files
  • Recoloured K-only images with transparency lose their transparency
  • Stability and Performance improvements
  • Fix for zero-height / width objects moving to the wrong pages when switching to / from 'Facing Pages'
  • Text > Interactive - Options mismatched with Context Menu 
  • Can now import .afassets file via drag drop 
  • Layer / Blend modes list fixed to scroll with arrow keys
  • Linked afphoto file shows wrong DPI when modified
  • Pan Tool cursor persisted after using <Space> / Pan
  • Fix for stale preflight results persisting when Pages are removed

Multi-spread

• Allow immediate dragging of objects on other spreads
  • Constraining while dragging objects between spreads now works correctly
  • When dragging between spreads, snapping is now performed on the target spread candidates
  • Dragging objects between spread using the Focal Point handle now works correctly
  • Fixes for dragging curve nodes across multiple spreads
  • Fixes for 'restart drag' when translating across spreads
  • Fixed issue with auto-panning in the text tool

Text

• Improved performance of text when rendering text
  • Avoid generating infinite filler text when leading is zero
  • Further improvements for ideographic line breaks, mainly for quote-marks
  • Allow OpenType kerning between glyphs with different settings (if they are the same font and size)
  • Fixed 'Indent To Here' not working if lines are broken by drop cap or wrap shape
  • Fixes for line-breaker around Fixed Spaces
  • Index Find - match words with following punctuation
  • Index Partial loss of parent topics when adding pages from file
  • Fixed crash after editing text styles if changes caused pinned objects to move between spreads
  • Option to preserve Text Frame width when changing Column Gutter in the context toolbar
  • Double click multi-word selection could leave the original word not selected
  • Fixed handling of local objects pinned to master page text when subsequently unpinned
  • Improved line breaking for ideographic languages
  • Chinese Font names now show in Chinese
  • Character Panel - Font Category changes after changing font or deselecting object

Import

• IDML Import - Text frame corners are now scaled correctly
  • IDML Import - Fixed instances where text wrap path could fail to import, or be scaled incorrectly
  • IDML Import - Generic OpenType features not being imported from IDML file
  • IDML Import - Effects settings not scaled correctly on master page items
  • IDML Import - En-Space in numbered list imported as a 0
  • IDML Import - Elements could be positioned incorrectly in some instances
  • IDML Import - Question mark in file path breaks link during the import
  • IDML Import - Initial Words not scaling correctly
  • IDML Import - Placed EPS files are slightly clipped
  • IDML Import -  Better handling of master page items with overridden properties
  • XLSX Import - Fixed hang with cells with gradient fills
  • PDF import - Improved performance
  • PDF Import - Improved handling when importing password restricted PDFs
  • PDF Import - Import now allows creation of Artistic Text if 'Group lines of Text into Text Frames' is switched off
  • PDF Import - Import now provides fallback if the used font doesn't define space
  • PDF Import - Fixed text positioning which could be incorrect due to spaces being treated as tabs under certain conditions
  • PDF Import - Fall through to alternative mappings when importing text, if necessary
  • PDF Import - Better handling of restricted files
  • SVG Import - 'ClosePath' doesn't have to be followed by a 'Move'
  • SVG Import - Now treats gradients with one stop as solid fills
  • SVG Import - Other fixes for specific files, including malformed files

Export

• Fixed vector export of text occasionally filling characters
  • PDF Export - Better support for RGBA16 and RGBAUF images
  • PDF Export - Export could fail for glyph ids that happen to match surrogate pair values
  • PDF Export - Fixed issues exporting to PDF/X-4 with content with embedded profiles 
  • SVG Export - Fixed source of numeric overflow causing curves to be exported incorrectly in some cases

Earlier changes and fixes in 1.8 since 1.7 (including the new 1.8 features) are listed in some detail in this 1.8.0 update announcement and the 1.8.2 update announcement

UPDATING TO THIS VERSION (Free for existing customers)

The software version can be seen on the splash screen and the About dialog (in Help > About Affinity Publisher).

If you’ve purchased from the Affinity Store— each time you start the Affinity Store software it will check for updates and offer any available update. The latest update will install over the top of any earlier version, with no need to uninstall. You can download the latest installer by logging into the affinity store here and find the order in your account and use the "Download" button in there. Alternatively, this new release (and previous versions of Affinity Publisher for Windows) can be downloaded from this link (that installer is NOT for Windows Store purchases and needs a product key).

If you’ve purchased from the Microsoft Store— Microsoft Store updates are done automatically by the operating system (each time you start the application). If this does not happen for you, open the Windows Store app and click the three dots in the top right corner of the app and then go to Downloads and Updates. Click Get Updates. This should hopefully force the update to show.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

All Readers

This thread is solely for commenting on this announcement.

Please do not post bugs or problems that you find when using this version of the software in this thread, instead make a new thread in the Publisher Bugs on Windows section and questions about usage go in the Desktop Questions forum.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

@Timetraveler

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

To you and @claidheamdanns I would say that the Mac release notes are here and I will look into why you were brought to the wrong announcement from the autoupdate page

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

4 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

@Timetraveler

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

To you and @claidheamdanns I would say that the Mac release notes are here and I will look into why you were brought to the wrong announcement from the autoupdate page

Just downloaded the update just now.  Thank you.  Question, what would be the normal guides for setting up Publisher to write a book? 

• Staff
On 8/7/2020 at 9:24 PM, Timetraveler said:

Would this version only for Windows?  I have the Mac version.  Are there any updates for the Mac coming in the future?  Thank you

On 8/7/2020 at 9:52 PM, claidheamdanns said:

When I click on "Please visit the forum for the latest release notes." in the updater window in the Mac version, it brings me to these notes about the Windows version.

Thanks. The link has now been updated.

Hey there, very excited to download all three updates! I downloaded the .exe files with no problem, but I can't get them to install...I'm still on Win 7. Is that a problem with the updates? Thanks for any info on installing the updates to Photo, Designer and Publisher! I own all three on my Mac and my PC!

• Staff

@TomHeintjes

No this is not a known problem. First thing to try is to cold restart the computer, and try again.

The announcement thread is not an ideal place to get personal support so please can you make a new thread in here https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/5-affinity-on-desktop-questions-mac-and-windows/ and we can help you get to the bottom of the problem.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd