You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

User Interface stops being "clickable"

Not long after I start working in Designer, the interface stops being clickable. I can still use keyboard shortcuts, but dropdowns, tools, scroll-bars, etc, become un-usable. I can hit tab to hide/show the tools and interface objects, and that doesn't change anything. 

I can use the space bar to scroll around, and I can use tools for which I know the keyboard shortcuts. But most of anything else is un-usable. I can't scroll through my layers with the mouse wheel or the laptop's touchpad.

I'm on a Dell Inspiron, using a secondary monitor usually via HDMI, But this happens when I'm using just the laptop too.

The only way I can get things back is to close Designer completely, and re-open it all. And then do it again shortly after once things become un-usable. It's getting very problematic. Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks.

Since the update to 1.8.4 I experience sth. similar: Both Photo and Designer are practically unusable with the mouse. Mostly click-events within the image don't work at all.

I can click layers, buttons etc., but nothing inside the canvas.

That is weird that it's exactly opposite of what I have. I noticed I can't even hit the close "X" for the program. I have to use alt+F4 to close the program. It's completely broken and it's getting very problematic.

Hi @voom

I'm sorry to see you had to downgrade to finish your work. I usually only upgrade any of my software once I have a break in my work. It can be too stressful to troubleshoot when you have deadlines to meet.

Can you tell me what set-up you are using and if you are using a graphics tablet please?

17 minutes ago, SPaceBar said:

Hi Stan,

Are you able to upload of video of this happening please so I can take a closer look? 

Is it only happening to you in Designer? Can you tell me what version are you using? Are and if you are using a graphics tablet?

I'll see what I can do for a video when I get a chance! I did recently get a Wacom Intuos. I think I've had the problem when I didn't have it attached, but I'll have to check.

Lately I've been using Designer only, so I haven't noticed in anything else. But I should be able to check others pretty quickly since it happens fairly soon after I start working in Designer.

Thanks for the reply. I'll see when I can get some details.

(I am not good at English, so I am using a translation tool to write this sentence.)
I am also troubled by the inability to click.
In my case, I can't left click and drag on the canvas only.
This issue is happening with photo, designer and publisher.
Moreover, it is not possible to downgrade because it is purchased at the windows store.
I can't work at all. What should I do.

On 8/4/2020 at 5:52 PM, SPaceBar said:

Hi @voom

I'm sorry to see you had to downgrade to finish your work. I usually only upgrade any of my software once I have a break in my work. It can be too stressful to troubleshoot when you have deadlines to meet.

Can you tell me what set-up you are using and if you are using a graphics tablet please?

No graphics tablet. The only input-device connected other than mouse is a Contour ShuttlePROv2. It is mainly for video apps, but has some global presets that may affect other apps. All the device does, though, is send predefined shortcuts or keypresses to the app when using the buttons or the (jog) wheel.

I reinstalled publisher 1.8.4 since at the moment I do not need to use it. Publisher shows exactly the same issues. I disconnected the ShuttlePRO and also the USB-connection for the touchscreen-monitor touch functionality (since that is a kind of external input-device as well). That does not change anything.

I notice some other strange behavior: running the app on the 4k screen the context-menues from within other areas of the program but the canvas are the right size, within the canvas area they appear small (unscaled). I run the Affinity apps without compatibility scaling, because otherwise the eyedropper does not sample the area it shows when hovering if I do. (The offset is probably due to scaling issues.)  This way the open/save/save as etc. windows appear unscaled though (so small the text is hardly readable). Since the eyedropper is important in the workflow, I solved this with the workaround of having Display Fusion move those windows to one of the HD screens. 

I add this info here since maybe the 4k may be part of the problem, and also to mention the scaling issues the apps have (also opened a new thread for those).

Edit: if I put the Affinity app to an HD screen the behavior concerning the "not clickable" does not change...

Thanks for letting me know voom. I am glad you have discovered what was causing the issue.

I have a similar issue with a tablet that is attached to my iMac. When the graphics tablet it's not being used and is switched off I sometimes lose the ability to do anything on my iMac until I reboot. It happened again last night so I unplugged the cable from the tablet and I was able to work again without a reboot. I was going to ask you if it could be something similar happening with you. 👍