when???

Before you leap, you must look.

Before you look, you must think.

Before you think, you must feel!

Before you feel, you must--

I've had enough!

On 6/22/2019 at 12:34 AM, Dudemeister said:

I've watched that video OVER AND OVER now and can't for the life of me figure out how you're getting the UP/DOWN arrow when on the RIGHT edge of the selected object! No matter what I do, all I ever get is a LEFT/RIGHT arrow for SCALING! This is SO frustrating. Fighting to get something so BASIC done! What am I missing??! How do I move (skew) the right edge of a selected object UP AND DOWN??

You can skew in the Transform Studio, I agree with you that the little arrows are very fickle.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.3 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.x.x | Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.x.x | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.7.x.x

On 6/22/2019 at 2:34 AM, Dudemeister said:

I've watched that video OVER AND OVER now and can't for the life of me figure out how you're getting the UP/DOWN arrow when on the RIGHT edge of the selected object!

It can be tricky, but I usually have no trouble getting it to appear if I bring the pointer in from outside the selection, slowing down as it gets near the side handle so I won't overshoot the 'sweet spot' where it works. It also seems to help to move the pointer along a line that would extend through the opposite control handle rather than obliquely to it.

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

23 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

You can skew in the Transform Studio

The trouble is, you can only specify a horizontal shear/skew amount via the Transform panel. To achieve vertical skew, you need to apply a combination of rotation and horizontal skew.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

9 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

You can skew in the Transform Studio, I agree with you that the little arrows are very fickle.

Oh for :70_poop:s sake… no kidding! Thanks! I would NEVER have suspected it OUTSIDE of the object boundaries. :32_expressionless: It would actually make FAR more sense to simply put it on a modification key! Scale without anything, SKEW with e.g. OPTION or even COMMAND or whatever.

Cheers.

6 minutes ago, Dudemeister said:

It would actually make FAR more sense to simply put it on a modification key! Scale without anything, SKEW with e.g. OPTION or even COMMAND or whatever.

Both those modifier keys already are used with the Shear function, Option to ignore snapping & CMD to shear about the center of the object.

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2