You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

You can skew shapes and text, exactly like in Xara. However what you are showing in your example seems more a perspective distortion than a skew (it's not the same). There's no way to distort objects in Affinity Designer yet. This feature was requested several times and it's in the official Feature Roadmap.

OK. Apologies for writing the word 'skew' in there.

So, if I want to fit some text onto, for example, the face of a card that's not face on, then this cannot be done at the moment?

Is that right?

I found how to skew.

I take it it's when you move your mouse to the edge of the border and you get two arrows pointing in opposite directions.

Now. All that's preventing me from completing my very first drawing in Affinity Designer, is the perspective option.

• Staff

I found how to skew.

I take it it's when you move your mouse to the edge of the border and you get two arrows pointing in opposite directions.

Now. All that's preventing me from completing my very first drawing in Affinity Designer, is the perspective option.

Yes, skew (the two arrows pointing in opposite directions) its exactly the same as you do in Xara. Mesh/warp distortion is coming. So yes its right, you cannot fit text on a card in perspective (unless you do it manually obviously)

I was able to create a single word. Select it and “Convert to Curves”.

Using the pen tool create a rectangle that you can then reshape using the node tool to the perspective shape you want your letter to conform to and possibly add a few lines as guides in the perspective angles then using the node tool select the letters individually and move the character nodes of each letter to match the guild lines to get a perspective look.

I accomplished this, not without a little effort, and produced a very viable perspective text look. 

Obviously this is not the preferred way to accomplish this but for four or five letters it is doable in a pinch. I would not like to have to do this with multiple lines of text, etc. but if a current job depended upon it I could still accomplish it with a little extra effort at this time if I had too.

Max

OS X Ventura 13.0.1, Mac Studio M1 Max, 27" Apple Studio Display, 32 GB SSD. Affinity Universal License for 2.0.

Mac User & Programmer since 1985 to date. Author of “SignPost” for vinyl sign cutting.

Regarding perspective and any other text effects that you can imagine. I have had perfectly excellent results using “Typestyler” from “Strider Software” which is one of the premier Text Styling application on the market.

It can produce just about any text effect your mind can imagine and export it as a file that Affinity Designer can open directly.

Ultra simple to do until AD has similar effects.

Max

OS X Ventura 13.0.1, Mac Studio M1 Max, 27" Apple Studio Display, 32 GB SSD. Affinity Universal License for 2.0.

Mac User & Programmer since 1985 to date. Author of “SignPost” for vinyl sign cutting.

• 7 months later...
  • Staff

To me it looks like an isometric drawing, so pure shear/skew with no distortion required.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

We have a quick tip video that explains how this works. Go here and scroll down to the Quick Tips section. You'll want to watch the Real-time Embedded Document Editing video. 

Here's a direct link to the Vimeo video: https://vimeo.com/110134439

Is there an option to warp a design on to a surface, like e.g. attaching a logo design to a wine bottle or other uneven surfaces in Designer or Photo? If not, is it planned to get included into Designer or Photo soon?

Currently i'm feeling a bit limited completing design tasks like logo design, because presenting a logo is a very important part of the process. Everything else needed for logo design is already in place, and works. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 26.9.2014 at 10:00 PM, MaxClass said:

Regarding perspective and any other text effects that you can imagine. I have had perfectly excellent results using “Typestyler” from “Strider Software” which is one of the premier Text Styling application on the market.

It can produce just about any text effect your mind can imagine and export it as a file that Affinity Designer can open directly.

Ultra simple to do until AD has similar effects.

Max

The interface is from 1985 (?) Sorry! Not useful for me ;)

Die Now Live Later - KMFDM