You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo Beta 1.8.4.186 GM Seed: Affinity Photo Extensions Mind Numbingly Slow to Launch!

It’s now consistently taking about 1 minute 25sec for the extensions to launch from Apple Photos.
This is significantly slower than previously when it only took around 10 so seconds before.
Using ordinary .jpeg files of around 4.5 MB
System specs in my signature.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Not sure there’s much difference, perhaps a few seconds faster in the new MAS version.
The opening times for each extension though remain consistent for me.
They are;
Develop: For RAW files; 0m:58s & for jpeg = 1m:5s
Haze Removal: 1m:5s
Liquefy: 1m:15s
Monochrome: 1m:15s
Miniature: 1m:25s
Retouch: 1m:5s (In the beta GM this was 1m:25s)

I should say that the ‘Edit In Affinity Photo’ extension works “correctly” and is as fast as it ever was in the past, at just 9 seconds, which includes launching AP from cold!

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Here you go and thanks for taking a look 🙂 Note the clock time top right when launching an extention, it freezes and my entire system also becomes un responsive while the extention loads.

• Staff

Can you try to attach a copy of your Console logs? 

Make sure no other apps are running

Open Console, clear right before opening the Apple Photos

Start an extension as usual

once it's loaded, copy all the events in TextEdit app, save and attach the file here :)

Hopefully this is the right set of logs for you Gabe.
It’s from the first listing under Devices > “users name” Macbook Pro.

Humm, well that was interesting…
I”ve uninstalled Avast and it’s not made any improvement in times.
Choosing the AP Retouch extension, it still takes 1m:5s for the window to show up. And also interestingly, none of the retouch options can be selected for a further 40 seconds. During this time the clock also remains frozen nor can I interact with any other part of my computer.
Which makes a total of 1m:45s before being able to do anything.
Attached is another Console log from a run without Avast installed, if it may or may not be of any help to you.

AP Extintions Launch time Without Avast - markw.rtf

Any further thoughts as to why the extensions are taking so long to load and locking up my system while they do so?

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.