You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Any possiblities to displace library location ?

Hello everyone,

I have a recent configuration with a 100go on the SSD, 1TO on an internal hard drive + 4To external drive on USB 3.
Affinity suite put all brushes (raster and vectors) and each familly like assets on the SSD because he has the C letter and Windows is on it. I have a serious problem of space.
Some others software like "Moho12-13 asks during the installation WHERE to put the libraries, that makes me sense.

Is there any possibilities to displace libraries ? (by default for brushes C:\Users\Utilisateur\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Designer\1.0\user\raster_brushes.propcol) ?
Even I installing Affinity Designer in an another hardrive will intal its library on C:\

Some software in order to make some portals or nexte release of Affinity suite with an option to put thoses heavy files elsewhere ?

BTW I'm astonished by the work you did on the three software. Many thanks.

I'll echo this.  Microsoft's UX guidelines notwithstanding, I never install anything that allows any option to do otherwise on the C drive of my main workstation.  General apps (and app content like fonts, stock art, asset libraries, etc) go on the D drive.  Games go on the E drive. (I have 14 spindles in that machine, six on mainboard SATA ports and 8 more on a raid controller.  Several general partitions, a striped multi-disk Windows volume for video editing and other high-bandwidth apps, and a couple of RAID sets.   Definitely not in the user-needs-mindless-simplicity category.)

On my portable Shuttle "shoebox" machine, the entire C drive is only 60GB SSD, so I also make a very strong effort to move everything possible off the C drive and onto the slower, larger hard drive.

I find it extremely annoying when app installers don't offer the option to customize installation locations.

Many thanks for your reply sfriedberg,

With hybrid vector-bitmap the size of the librariy grows up quickly, raster bitmaps are riche and detailled but it has a cost ; the size of the library
+ it seems libraries are not shared between software so you have to install it twice (I'm not absolutly sure on this point, I have to check it)

Affinity has a lot of potential.

Have a good day, or whatever you need.

Edited by Becoming Jerome
Format of the police

• 1 month later...

Absolutely second this.

All Affinity apps create per-app-per-user-libraries for any bit of user-created stuff,

if I import one set of raster brushes to all 3 apps on 2 user profiles I'll have 6 instances of the same data, plus backup files.

For one this bloats up disk requirements a lot (I don't have too much raster stuff but it's 2,5-3Gb per user already for the same ~1Gb of brushes),

secondly having to import everything two or three times to have it available is annoying as hell.

Optionally having one common directory for such stuff would help greatly for managing disk space,

also syncing/sharing stuff between apps wouldn't necessarily require manual action.

@Becoming Jerome There are certainly ways but be careful, especially on Windows:

• On Windows, you can use junction - please read the docs and help page carefully since you might harm your system when you use this feature the wrong way
  • On Mac, you can simply link or mount any different objects to their specific mountpoints/targets

Both ways are basically the same thing on different systems, just the junction thing on Windows doesn's support network linkage, so the implementation is a bit different, but both work for me.

• 1 month later...

CLC , Thank you for your reply and all my apologizes for being so long.

I use Windows an I don't wan't to risk to "harm my system"... Software like Moho, Clip Studio Paint or FL Studio give the possibility to displace library's folder in any internal-external HDD, SSD or even USB device.

Obviously I've buyed all tree softwares, many brushes and my SSD is 115go with 17go free today. I have 5To un HDD.

Good continuation for all...

On 9/18/2020 at 11:30 AM, fde101 said:

They may have difficulty getting this to work well because of trying to keep the app versions relatively in sync in terms of feature set while needing to fight with the limitations of the sandboxing requirements from the various app stores.

PC are not Ipad with native tactile features (I have a Wacom Intuos Pro) and Ipad haven't got multiple storages unless you use Clouds. It has no sense.

21 minutes ago, Becoming Jerome said:

PC are not Ipad with native tactile features (I have a Wacom Intuos Pro) and Ipad haven't got multiple storages unless you use Clouds. It has no sense.

Serif distributes the app on both the Mac App Store and the Windows App Store, both of which require apps to be sandboxed just like the iPad does.

There may be ways to get around that requirement for user-specified folders, at least outside of the iPad version, but this may have inconsistent requirements between platforms and perhaps between the sandboxed app store versions and the non-sandboxed versions purchased from the Serif web site.

Those differences can make documenting the feature more complex and can also raise complaints and cause confusion for users.  They can also make maintaining the code more difficult sometimes.

Serif would need to determine how much of an impact this would have on them and whether or not it was worth it to provide this.  In any case it is not as simple a thing as you seem to think.

I use a similar tablet (Wacom Pro model) on my Mac, with the sandboxed app store versions of the Affinity apps, by the way...  with three hard drives and an SSD inside the case of my 2010 Mac Pro and network connections to a few other systems on my home network.

38 minutes ago, Becoming Jerome said:

Moho, Clip Studio Paint or FL Studio

These are not available on the Mac App Store, and I would assume not on the Windows app store either, thus they don't need to deal with sandboxing restrictions.  That makes it much simpler for them to offer this.

On 10/23/2020 at 8:57 AM, Becoming Jerome said:

CLIP sTUDIO PAINT is both on IOS, WIN and Mac.

Yes, but it is not distributed in an app store on the desktops, so the computer versions are not sandboxed.

This wouldn't make sense for an iPad as they rarely have more than one main storage location available.