You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Constraint

One of the oddities I found in this exercise was that when a Constraint is applied to a group like this attached 'Dimension' file I had to make the right and left hand strokes twice as thick as the horizontal one in order for them all to appear 0.5pt think. Is this a bug?

Dimensions 2.afdesign

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

Hi jackamus,

This is a known issue. Constraints Groups (unlike regular groups) will clip anything outside the of the group. So in your case because your Strokes are set to Align Centre, half the stroke is getting clipped, which is why you're having to double the thickness.

Hi Sean, when you say a 'known issue' do you mean its a bug or that it is a design feature that has not been updated?

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Thanks Sean.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Yes but it has already been acknowledged as being a bug and awaiting for rectifying.

However if it were not a bug then everyone using it would have to remember to always use a thicker stroke to get what they want.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

1 minute ago, jackamus said:

Yes but it has already been acknowledged as being a bug and awaiting for rectifying.

However if it were not a bug then everyone using it would have to remember to always use a thicker stroke to get what they want.

I wasn't saying the implementation (a Rectangle clipping object) is good. I was just saying why the clipping is happening.

Fair enough annon2. Apart from the unwanted clipping it works brilliantly as an 'Asset' for creating dimension lines. I'm trying to think what kind of other situation it can be used for.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me how to change the length of just the right hand extension line without changing the other objects?

Constraint group.afdesign

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

4 hours ago, jackamus said:

Can anyone tell me how to change the length of just the right hand extension line without changing the other objects?

Not entirely sure of what you are trying to achieve but I will guess that you want the right extension line to be larger than the left as you drag out the size vertically. It is counterintuitive in that you have to change the left side's Bottom Constraint to off.

Constraint group changed.afdesign

1562420247_ScreenShot2020-08-26at7_52_23AM.png.b4416f75cc4544fdccdc173372c73fd0.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

You've almost got it.

I have this group saved as an 'Asset' for applying dimensions to drawings. Sometimes I may need extension lines of unequal lengths. See file.

I would like to be able to extend the right hand extension line independently from the left hand line.

Alternatively how do I 'Undo' Constraint on this particular group so I can extend the line manually?

Constraint group 2.afdesign

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

35 minutes ago, jackamus said:

You've almost got it.

I have this group saved as an 'Asset' for applying dimensions to drawings. Sometimes I may need extension lines of unequal lengths. See file.

I would like to be able to extend the right hand extension line independently from the left hand line.

Alternatively how do I 'Undo' Constraint on this particular group so I can extend the line manually?

You may be better served by drawing the lines (extensions) manually overtop of two very short fixed lines on your constraints. Otherwise you have to set up one with fixed lengths for left and right and one for left and a third for right.

Start with 10mm extensions and then you can duplicate it and change it for the the left and the right so when you extend it you'll have both or only one extend.

There is no simple way to do this in Designer, if you have to do this sort of thing often a CAD package would be worthwhile as you can then have dimensions calculated for you and this sort of thing (dimension lines) is automatic. I haven't had to use any for years now so I can't suggest anything off the top of my head.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hi Bruce,

I think I will simply draw a new line on top of the original one. This would be the simpler way to do it. Also this kind of dimension will be quite rare.

Thanks for the advice.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0