You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

On YouTube  I watched a video by ~ f64 ~ called ~ 'Completely TRANSFORM any photo with the Diamond Gradient in Photoshop' ~ Everything about it was not only interesting and useful too. Everything that is except, that he was using 'Photoshop'  ~ not Affinity Photo.  Having had a quick look, I cannot find a 'Diamond Gradient' on the Gradient drop down along with  all the others… So-oooh…… I was wondering if it was hidden somewhere? Or, if that's not the case, then is it possible to do some-kind-of-a-work-around to create the exact same end result and thereby have my own Diamond Gradient to hand, whenever I needed it.  Or… is there something, which is "Similar" within Affinity Photo that I just don't yet know about? & if so, where is it?  

Thanks in advance for any help or advise given.

37 minutes ago, Digbydo 2 said:

On YouTube  I watched a video by ~ f64 ~ called ~ 'Completely TRANSFORM any photo with the Diamond Gradient in Photoshop' ~ Everything about it was not only interesting [but] useful too.

Speaking of ‘useful’, if you’re referring to a publicly available resource such as a YouTube video it’s useful to provide a link to it so that other users can see what you see.

https://youtu.be/yWi8fDQM35Q

As far as I’m aware, it’s not possible to use Photoshop gradient (*.grd) files in Affinity Photo.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1. Create a square shape using the rectangle tool
  2. Add a gradient diagonally and set the colour and opacity of each colour you want.
  3. select the move tool and move the rotation point to the bottom right corner of the square
  4. Power duplicate (cmd + J) and rotate the duplicate 90º
  5. Press Cmd + J twice more
  6. Now merge the four squares to have a diamond overlay
  7. Change blend modes and opacities to suit.
  8. Save the overlay as an Asset to reuse when you want

You could also turn the first square you make into a symbol before you duplicate so you can edit the colours as you please.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

@Digbydo 2 , or you could use the FX outline effect set to contour. That gives you the diamond. Rotate the shape for the angle. Soft light is set on the layer or in the FX panel.
If your image is square you can go from color to color, but if it's rectangular go from one color 100% opacity to itself at 0% opacity and combine it with a canvas sized shape of the second color. Move/scale the diamond wherever you want.

733468713_diamondgradient.png.0b80eed3cfe1afd4cb5033a9bd02fc2a.png

1183608830_diamondgradientsunset.png.fa703684140eef9ee77cda0f7ceab387.png

On 8/1/2020 at 1:01 PM, firstdefence said:
  1. Create a square shape using the rectangle tool
  2. Add a gradient diagonally and set the colour and opacity of each colour you want.
  3. select the move tool and move the rotation point to the bottom right corner of the square
  4. Power duplicate (cmd + J) and rotate the duplicate 90º
  5. Press Cmd + J twice more
  6. Now merge the four squares to have a diamond overlay
  7. Change blend modes and opacities to suit.
  8. Save the overlay as an Asset to reuse when you want

You could also turn the first square you make into a symbol before you duplicate so you can edit the colours as you please.

I have now followed your instructions and all seems well except I'm not too sure how to turn the first square into a 'Symbol' which obviously it'd be great to do as I would like to edit the colours later. Any instructions on how to do it would be most welcome ~ thank you

1. Make sure the symbols panel in active View > Studio: Symbols
  2. Select the first square
  3. On the symbols panel, click Create 

You can now continue from step 4.

Just a note: if you have multiple objects making a single object, i.e. a head, group them first else you will get more symbols than you bargained for lol! same goes for Assets.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

14 minutes ago, Digbydo 2 said:

I have now followed your instructions and all seems well except I'm not too sure how to turn the first square into a 'Symbol' which obviously it'd be great to do as I would like to edit the colours later. Any instructions on how to do it would be most welcome ~ thank you

4 minutes ago, firstdefence said:
  1. Make sure the symbols panel in active View > Studio: Symbols
  2. Select the first square
  3. On the symbols panel, click Create 

You can now continue from step 4.

Just a note: if you have multiple objects making a single object, i.e. a head, group them first else you will get more symbols than you bargained for lol! same goes for Assets.

Thank you for your instructions plus the added hints and tips ~ most helpful ~ most helpful.👍

If you get fine lines between the squares you can edit the coverage map.

image.png.fbdc5db78718793fc980b3145f6cd2ab.png

image.png.652c16e3c41133791463483179569b46.png

17 hours ago, Digbydo 2 said:

Thank you for your instructions plus the added hints and tips ~ most helpful ~ most helpful.👍

Hiya Firstdefense, Sorry to be a pain in the what's-it… but…  I've gone View > Studio >>> expecting to find  'Symbols' but damn-it it's is not on the listing ~ there's just… Scope, Snapshots Sources, Stock, Style & Swatches.  Any ideas where it is or is it hidden somewhere else?

14 minutes ago, Digbydo 2 said:

Hiya Firstdefense, Sorry to be a pain in the what's-it… but…  I've gone View > Studio >>> expecting to find  'Symbols' but damn-it it's is not on the listing ~ there's just… Scope, Snapshots Sources, Stock, Style & Swatches.  Any ideas where it is or is it hidden somewhere else?

@firstdefence apparently forgot that you’re using Affinity Photo. The ‘Symbols’ feature is only available in Designer.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)