You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD - "Cutting" out section of an image

AffinityDesigner, latest app store version. 

The attached image is on a transparent BG - I need to cut out the "Woo" text so that I can apply a colour overlay to the entire image to make it appear white. 

This is driving me nuts. Typically I would use a "Magic Wand" type tool to select the white area inside a letter (i.e the "W") and then just hit delete to remove the selection. 

I've tried going into Pixel Persona and using the "Selection Brush" tool to select the white "W" for example but when I hit delete, nothing happens. Copy & pasting produces a cut out of the "W" which I've tried messing around with (masks etc) but not had any luck.

In my head this is a really simple task so I am confused why I am making it so difficult. Am I missing something?

Any ideas? Thank you in advance. 

Apologies for the dumb question  :mellow:  ^_^

post-16096-0-30134500-1439492920_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi mattbwm,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You have to rasterise the layer first to be able to edit it. This will convert it from an image layer (an "object layer type" like text or shapes) to a generic pixel layer - a container were you can perform raster operations. Right-click on the layer in the Layers panel and select Rasterise... to do it. You should then be able to delete the selection as you intended.

Brilliant, thanks MEB

Your posts are always informative and I appreciate them greatly. Thank you! 

Hi mattbwm,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You have to rasterise the layer first to be able to edit it. This will convert it from an image layer (an "object layer type" like text or shapes) to a generic pixel layer - a container were you can perform raster operations. Right-click on the layer in the Layers panel and select Rasterise... to do it. You should then be able to delete the selection as you intended.