You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Angle control for gradient fill; move Fill and Transparency out of tool palette and into object properties..

I posted the lack of an angle control as a bug originally, but I'm cross-posting here after getting more information:

When I set the fill for an object, I use the Fill control provided in the toolbar and its dedicated tab for gradients.  I would not expect to go hunting around for a separate tool for this and drag an additional effect onto an object, when fill is an intrinsic property of an object and controls are already provided for it.  If the controls for a property are deemed too complicated or difficult to implement in the control panel, I would expect on-screen controls to appear when I select that property (in this case, the Fill color well) from the object's property panel or toolbar.

The current design, aside from looking like it suffers from a major omission, leaves the user wondering if he's applying a separate effect to the object.  I suspect this will be even more problematic if Designer offers multiple fills on the same object (which I saw in the feature roadmap).

I urge Affinity to eliminate the fill control from the Tools palette and integrate its function into the Fill control on the properties toolbar that appears for an object.  Not only is this much more intuitive for the user, but it allows you to enable or disable the control as appropriate for the type of object selected, and to cause it to disappear when no object is selected.  As it stands, it makes no sense for the Gradient and Transparency tools to be enabled when nothing is selected.

Gavin