You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am exploring the use of ICC profiles in photo processing and printing. I have had some success, but am not sure that I fully understand why. Here is what I understand (or think I do); perhaps some more experiences users will provide me with some insight. I understand that ICC profiles describe the color space that individual devices are capable of reproducing and are applied so that one device may match another. If so, then in my system there are three devices; 1) the camera/lens. 2) the display and 3) the printer. My lack of understanding is where these should be applied to a photo file. It is possible to assign a profile to a raw file prior to development. This option asks for the "output" profile. Should this be the printer profile? That is the eventual output device, but applying it here before development has not produced a good result.

I suspect that output profile means output from the development process, so at this point would apply the "camera/lens" profile. Then when printing, apply the "printer" profile as the "output" profile. The "display" profile only effects the display, how the camera/lens profile is represented on the screen and does not change the file. BUT - as a printer, wouldn't I want the screen to represent how the file will print so the printer characteristics can be accommodated while editing the file? Using the above procedure gives very good matching results, but it does not display the image as it will be printed.

I hope I have adequately described my question. Anyone have some insight on this issue?

Thanks & Best Regards to All - DK  

How about starting with this Affinity tutorial:

Color management

Duration: 05:23
Learn how your custom monitor profiles are used, and explore setting up document color profiles and working in wide color spaces.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/tutorials/photo/desktop/video/332654440/

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks BofG - I find it confusing that there are multiple places where you can apply a profile. So far, I have had the best results by not assigning a profile prior to development. After development, I use the "assign ICC profile" function under "Document" to assign the camera profile. The when printing, I assign the printer profile as the output profile. The results are very good, matching the output print to the original color checker. I did think that assigning the printer profile to the file prior to development would create a display image that more closely matches the printer output. This still seems technically to make the most sense to me, but the results do not match as well. Experimentation continues. Once again, thanks for your input.

Best regards - DK