You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo: Batch resizing photos to 2x?

Hey there guys, love Affinity apps.

I'm attempting to record a macro which doubles the dimensions of my files and then applies an unsharp mask.  When using Resize Document, it appears that you can only set a fixed width and height, which results in many of my images being distorted.

I then discovered the Resize Pixel Art Document... option, but that lacks the advanced various resampling options (I usually use Bilinear) and thus the results are actually a lot worse compared side by side to using the regular Resize Document option.

Is there any way to batch resize images to a chosen factor (2x, 3x, .etc) using a Bilinear resampler in Affinity Photo?

Thanks
Fotis

If the images are simply a mixture of portrait and landscape format but all the same size, you can use one of the macros that @John Rostron posted here. I don’t know of a way to apply a chosen scale factor to a set of images with arbitrary dimensions.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I have only tried my macros in downsizing images. I doubt if they would work in upsizing, but I will give it a try.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Try using a batch job. (File  > New Batch Job). This allows you to specify a new width (or height). See this link here. You could also include a macro to do the sharpening.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

2 hours ago, John Rostron said:

I have only tried my macros in downsizing images. I doubt if they would work in upsizing, but I will give it a try.

John

No it does not work. It enlarges the image all right, but the canvas remains at the original size.

John

You could use "Document" -> "Resize Pixel Art Document" in a macro. But it seems to be, that this will only work with flattened images.

Edit: What works in a macro is to change the dpi, having "Resample" unchecked.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

5 hours ago, fgimian said:

Is there any way to batch resize images to a chosen factor (2x, 3x, .etc) using a Bilinear resampler in Affinity Photo?

Use File > New Batch Job to resize the images to your chosen factor (2x, 3x, etc). The same screen options will allow you to choose Bilinear as the resampler method

Add a macro to the batch job which simply contains your commands to apply an unsharp mask (i.e. don't try to resize the images in the macro)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

Edit: What works in a macro is to change the dpi, having "Resample" unchecked.

If I remember correctly that has been broken since 1.7, and resampling occurs when the macro is run even if recorded with Resample unchecked.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

As carl123 correctly said, entering a factor works. Sigh ... an oversight on my sight.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed