You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Asset Size and Performance

Question about asset size and performance. - Building assets and was wondering whether or not they affect performance when not in use. It might seem like a silly question; and it feels a little silly to ask. However, one never knows. I was curious about it. - If I important an asset file - say larger than 100MB? - Does it have any effect on performance? Or is it just taking up space the way a folder full of assets would on a hard drive? Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

2020 M1 Mac Mini, 16GB, Mac OS Sonoma 14.1.1
iPad Pro 12.9, Gen 4, iPad OS 16.3.1

Thank you! - I was just curious. I knew it probably wasn't the case, but  - I don't know enough about programming and coding to understand whether or not the app has to keep that data "ready" or cached in order to access it quickly.  Thank you for your answer and for not making me feel stupid about it! lol - Cheers

On 7/31/2020 at 3:29 AM, Callum said:

As far as I'm aware assets shouldn't affect performance until they are placed into your document

Have you looked at the effects of very large assets.propcol files, Callum? There are threads talking about users loading large collections of JPG or PNG images into the Assets panel to make them available without having to use File > Place. That could result in a huge assets.propcol file, which (logically, at least) would require more time to load in and display. I recall one thread where a user with an assets.propcol file that was several GB in size was experiencing issues, which may have been related to that.

Aside from that performance consideration, I personally think that's an unwise use of Assets, especially since having them all in one file seems like a fragile implementation; if something happens to that file all the Assets are gone and the entire Assets collection must be reloaded from backup files.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

- Walt, I suspected as much, but don't have the technical knowledge to back up my suspicions. I do have a lot of assets of all types floating around on my HD, but I usually offload them once they get too hefty - i.e. If I have to keep scrolling to find things. - I was building myself some assets for a project I'm working on, and wanted to lay the suspicion to rest. - To be on the safe side I'm trying to keep my asset files under 100MB. I feel this is modest enough not to cause any issues. I'm hoping more people will chime in with their experiences so I can get a broader look at how it works. Thank you for taking the time to tell me about this. Cheers!