You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi everyone,
probably a silly question here....
basically I'm trying to convert an imge from a daylight to night light.
I made some adjustment, and because some 3d elements are going to be implemented, to make some order I'd like to group what made so far.

point is, when I tried to group them it looks odd, it basically showing only the last layer...

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance,
Lorenzo

grouped.jpg

not grouped.jpg

Why Group without layer Background? After grouping, adjustments apply only to layers in the group.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

2 hours ago, Pšenda said:

After grouping, adjustments apply only to layers in the group.

Sure? – Under what conditions it is different? Like here, where the background obviously gets affected:

772802448_APgroupadjustments.jpg.ff9582bf96179504028c03c07ca6d09b.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Hi guys, thanks for the answers

9 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Why Group without layer Background? After grouping, adjustments apply only to layers in the group.

well, I haven't put it in the group bacause is my original layer and I want to be able to find it easily just in case

6 hours ago, thomaso said:

Sure? – Under what conditions it is different? Like here, where the background obviously gets affected:

772802448_APgroupadjustments.jpg.ff9582bf96179504028c03c07ca6d09b.jpg

it is different as I shown, I mean....I expected to have a dark/night image after I grouped the layers....instead, on the day light one, it looks it's applied only the first top layer in the group and all the others are not visible.

I made a quick vieo to show better you what the problem is

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ibognzxbb56l06e/2020-07-31 08-53-41.mkv?dl=0

23 minutes ago, enzo_87 said:

well, I haven't put it in the group bacause is my original layer and I want to be able to find it easily just in case

And if you include her in the group, is it still not right?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

34 minutes ago, enzo_87 said:

I haven't put in the group bacause is my original layer and I want to be able to find it easily just in case

There is a solution where Background remains outside of the Group.

Your Group has Passthrough blend mode which is weirdly implemented in current Afffinity apps and often does not behave as you might expect, especially if you are familiar with the sensible implementation of Photoshop.

Trick Affinity into producing the sensible result by putting a white Fill layer (or a white-filled rectangle covering the canvas) with Multiply blend mode as the lowest layer inside the Passthrough Group.

1 hour ago, Pšenda said:

And if you include her in the group, is it still not right?

with background in the folder works

1 hour ago, anon2 said:

There is a solution where Background remains outside of the Group.

Your Group has Passthrough blend mode which is weirdly implemented in current Afffinity apps and often does not behave as you might expect, especially if you are familiar with the sensible implementation of Photoshop.

Trick Affinity into producing the sensible result by putting a white Fill layer (or a white-filled rectangle covering the canvas) with Multiply blend mode as the lowest layer inside the Passthrough Group.

with this trick works. 
I wasn-t aware about this, I'll try to keep this in mind, thanks so much

2 hours ago, enzo_87 said:

it is different as I shown,

1 hour ago, anon2 said:

Your Group has Passthrough blend mode

What does it depend on whether adjustments within groups do work underneath or not? Is it related to specific adjustment types only?

In my sample above (the pear image) the Group is set to Passthrough and the adjustments do affect the background layer, too. Can one explain when it works and when not?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

23 minutes ago, thomaso said:

What does it depend on whether adjustments within groups do work underneath or not? Is it related to specific adjustment types only?

The Passthrough Group contains live filters/adjustments only: the filters/adjustments do pass through the Group.

The Passthrough Group contains a mixture of live filters/adjustments and other types of object: the filters/adjustments do not pass through the Group.

23 minutes ago, thomaso said:

In my sample above (the pear image) the Group is set to Passthrough and the adjustments do affect the background layer, too. Can one explain when it works and when not?

Your adjustments are nested in the Image object inside the Group, not just nested in the Group. The background is not being adjusted. The Image object is adjusted and then that is blended with the background.

Edited by anon2
improved grammar