You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I would like to change the default font and font size, but I don't see a setting to do that.

Also, I was watching a tutorial video where their font selection window was as tall as their whole window (showing 40 or so fonts), not just the 3 or so inches (10 fonts) that I can see.

When I search the internet for font settings, I find all kinds of info on how to set up fonts within the current document.  I want settings for how how fonts appear in all documents. 
I don't see anything like that in Edit / Preferences and I don't see a 3 bar menu that would apply.

Thank you!

16 minutes ago, AncientWire said:

I would like to change the default font and font size, but I don't see a setting to do that.

Please see: Object defaults

The above article is from the Help for Affinity Publisher, but the procedure is the same for the desktop versions of the other Affinity apps.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thank you for pointing me to Object Defaults. However, Synchronise defaults from selection is only working within the current document. 
Edit / Default / Save does not apply the new settings to new documents in Designer, Publisher or Photo.
I am using Publisher 1.8.3.641, Designer 1.8.3.641, and Photo 1.8.3.641 for Windows.
Thank you

37 minutes ago, AncientWire said:

Edit / Default / Save does not apply the new settings to new documents in Designer, Publisher or Photo.

It should apply them to new documents that you have not yet created, and does for me.

Did you remember use Edit > Defaults > Synchronize from Selection before using Edit > Defaults > Save?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I created text - Antiqua 96 pt, selected it, used Edit > Defaults > Synchronize from Selection , then Edit > Defaults > Save , opened a new document and my font is still Arial 12pt.

I tried some more things.  If I open a new document using a template, the font settings don't change to the new one - makes total sense now that I think about it - the template must have also saved the settings.

If I open a new document using File / New and change the document size, my font becomes Arial 96 pt.  So it keeps the old font, but changes the size. 

I don't think Antiqua is one of the websafe fonts, so I tried Trebuchet 72 pt, which has now changed my new default font to Trebuchet 72 pt.

So my conclusion is create a new document - don't use a template (I will go back and remake my templates), and find a font family that will save as the default.

2 hours ago, AncientWire said:

the template must have also saved the settings.

Yes. A template is a document, and would save all the defaults that exist when it was created.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 hours ago, AncientWire said:

Also, I was watching a tutorial video where their font selection window was as tall as their whole window (showing 40 or so fonts), not just the 3 or so inches (10 fonts) that I can see.

Mac users get a full screen of fonts, Windows users are restricted to 11 for some reason.

I think it may have already been logged as a bug

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

10 hours ago, AncientWire said:

So my conclusion is create a new document - don't use a template (I will go back and remake my templates), and find a font family that will save as the default.

Any installed font should be savable as a default but remember that the defaults are saved separately & independently for Artistic & Frame text types. When making Artistic text, if you click & drag out the size it won't use the saved default size but it should use the default font; if you just click it should use both.

The two defaults should also apply when converting shapes to frame or path texts.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7