Snapping action timed out. Extremely sluggish behavior when moving objects too.
Should not happen on this hardware.

Affinity Designer 1.8.3

macOS Catalina - version 10.15.6
MacBook Pro 16 / 2019
2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 8.11.02 AM.png

21 hours ago, zstekovic said:

Here is the document. Nothing special, small icons set for customer. 

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0huGV_zGxHk9mkK-99QewSi1A#Icons

Size of the document: 75kb
Artboard: 97x

My observation is that Designer have issues tracking amount of objects in the document at the time.
+ it is worse if you open extra document/s (second tab+).

I expect you have "Snap to gaps and sizes" enabled. If you don't need that snap option, disable it, otherwise choose a more restricted snapping candidates option.

22 hours ago, zstekovic said:

Here is the document. Nothing special, small icons set for customer. 

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0huGV_zGxHk9mkK-99QewSi1A#Icons

Size of the document: 75kb
Artboard: 97x

My observation is that Designer have issues tracking amount of objects in the document at the time.
+ it is worse if you open extra document/s (second tab+).

I am beginning to stop my research for a replacement for my second private laptop. It is an old Intel i5 based workhorse with a simple Intel HD 3000 graphics card on Windows 10 Professional and I have never experienced the many problems reported about crashes and laggining with fancy graphics cards or OS X. Sure on extremely complex A2 drawings with lots of FX it slows down but still not to a crawl. Only rarely did (!) I enable pixel view mode to accelerate screen refresh. Photoshop and Illustrator newest versions also run smoothly. No stability issues either. Never a crash. Ever. Replacing it sounds dangerous. 😄

@anon2 I am not sure it is a pure settings issue - enabling every type of snapping there is gave me fine performance while moving elements - one or many. Only if I select say 10 artboards I experience a little delay before I can drag them - but from there performance is tolerable.

@zstekovic My gut feeling is that the problem is related to the GFX card or Metal. I don't have a Mac at home but can you fiddle with the settings in performance? I am curious if running Designer with the secondary GFX card helps - with or without Metal enabled.

I gave up using Designer for hobby use - a "professional" vector drawing program without actual vector features. Customers waiting for five years in vain is more than any company can ask for.

Maybe if Affinity Designer 2.0 gets real and advanced vector features I can it use. Until then... I am a customer, a potential upgrader and an active observer with an opinion. Currently I am slowly finishing a project I started in Designer.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Jowday said:

@anon2 I am not sure it is a pure settings issue - enabling every type of snapping there is gave me fine performance while moving elements - one or many. Only if I select say 10 artboards I experience a little delay before I can drag them - but from there performance is tolerable.

My experience is as follows.

candidates set to "all layers":

• no snapping: no lag
  • all snapping except "gaps and sizes": no lag
  • only snap to bounding boxes: no lag redundant
  • only snap to "bounding boxes" and "gaps and sizes": severe lag

candidates set to "immediate layers":

• only snap to "bounding boxes" and "gaps and sizes": tiny lag
Edited by anon2

1 hour ago, anon2 said:

My experience is as follows.

candidates set to "all layers":

• only snap to "bounding boxes" and "gaps and sizes": severe lag

candidates set to "immediate layers":

• only snap to "bounding boxes" and "gaps and sizes": tiny lag

Oh, right. Enabling 'all layers' also results in severe lag here. I never used anything else than Candidate List though. All Layers sounds like CPU torment and madness once you work on complex drawings. 

I saw the snapping timed out a couple of times with all layers selected while dragging several artboards.

I gave up using Designer for hobby use - a "professional" vector drawing program without actual vector features. Customers waiting for five years in vain is more than any company can ask for.

Maybe if Affinity Designer 2.0 gets real and advanced vector features I can it use. Until then... I am a customer, a potential upgrader and an active observer with an opinion. Currently I am slowly finishing a project I started in Designer.

2 hours ago, anon2 said:

I expect you have "Snap to gaps and sizes" enabled. If you don't need that snap option, disable it, otherwise choose a more restricted snapping candidates option.

This option should work - this is 75kb size file with limited amount of objects to track.
Designer Should be able to handle this with ease.

Info: CPU usage is at 1200% on the 8 core/16 thread machine with 32GB of RAM :)

I have same issue regardless of use of OpenGL or Metal (did not try Basic or Software)

This are my settings for snapping.

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 8.16.24 AM.png

It should - but see if Candidate List instead of All Layers solves the problem here and now.

5 minutes ago, zstekovic said:

@Jowday It solved my problem.

My advice of using "immediate layers" instead of "all layers", or disabling "gaps and sizes", also would have solved the problem if you had tried it. :)

34 minutes ago, zstekovic said:

@Jowday It solved my problem. Thanks man!

Good to hear - all credits goes to @anon2 though - I never played with this setting, Candidate List seems to be the most sensible default setting to use.

Not much we can do here. As @anon2 pointed out, you have gaps and sizes enabled, and "all layers" , which is a bad practice for large documents. When you try to do operation, it will try to snap to everything inside your document. We have closed this as by design.