You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pen tool & breaking curve

Hello,

I was using the pen tool on Affinity Designer on iPad, and I was trying to draw a curve  with a sharp point, and I couldn't figure out how. I then found a tutorial showing me how using the one finger gesture (place and hold one finger on the iPad while adjusting the handles so that s sharp point is made.) Excited to find that tip, I went to try it. It didn't work. Every time I drew a curve and pressed my finger while I adjusted the handle, it would just delay a bit and place another point where the tip of the handle was.

Am I doing something wrong?

• Staff

Hi RenWaller,

You have to place you second finger while you are pushing the node's handles to draw the curve the first time. If you release the handles first then you have to switch to Edit Mode in the context toolbar on bottom to adjust the handle again. Check the video below. Notice i never release the node's handle (the blue circles show where i'm still touching) while i place the second finger.

Okay, I have another question. I tried that concept on an existing curve, and it worked a few times, but not every time - I'm not sure what I'm doing differently. How do you make a sharp curve when you've already drawn it? (I tried it in and out of edit mode, and it only worked those few times.)

Thank you!

6 hours ago, RenWaller said:

How do you make a sharp curve when you've already drawn it? (I tried it in and out of edit mode, and it only worked those few times.)

The easiest method is to select the node tool, tap to select the node then in node tools context menu, tap Sharp icon.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

4 hours ago, Markus Allen said:

Question: How do I continue using the pen tool. Let's say I am drawing a lot of points and accidentally "clicked off"... is there a way to click the path and start drawing again?

Simply use the Node Tool to select the end point again, and then carry on drawing with the Pen Tool as before.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
19 hours ago, RenWaller said:

Okay, I have another question. I tried that concept on an existing curve, and it worked a few times, but not every time - I'm not sure what I'm doing differently. How do you make a sharp curve when you've already drawn it? (I tried it in and out of edit mode, and it only worked those few times.)

Thank you!

Hi RenWaller,
1. If you are working with an existing/finished shape you have to use the Node Tool. To move just one handle independent from the other (as i have shown i n the first video above), tap one of the handles and start moving it a bit then without releasing that finger, place the second finger somewhere else on canvas and drag the handle with the first finger - it will now become an independent handle (you can also adjust the opposite handle anytime now just dragging the handle).

2. If you want to remove one of the handles (Node Tool), with the node selected place a finger somewhere on canvas and tap the handle you want to remove. If you want to remove both handles tap on both handles or alternatively simply tap the Sharp button in the context toolbar on the bottom to get the same result.

Check the clip below:

Thank you @MEB! Once again, super helpful. And that probably explains why it worked sometimes and not others (I didn't realize I had to press down, and move the handles while keeping my finger pressed).

I appreciate all of your help! (And I'm once again super excited about how great these apps are - and the phenomenal customer service as well) 😁

You can use a shape drawn with the Donut Tool as a base to work from. Set the ‘Start Angle’ to 180° and the ‘End Angle’ to about 250°, convert to curves and then use the Node Tool to adjust the position of the bottom right-hand node and the curvature of the sides.

Use the Fill Tool to apply the desired gradient fill.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5 hours ago, Markus Allen said:

Can someone show me how to draw this simple curve to line drawing using Designer on the iPad?

Another method...

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/