You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I am having a sizing problem with a file I have been trying to export.  In AD it shows the image dimentions as 22.5 inches x 5.5 inches.  When I export it and open it with Inkscape or on my Shaper Origin, it is 70.3 inches by 17.1 inches.  Can anyone tell  me what's wrong.

Thanks,

Neal

test.svg

At what ppi/dpi are you viewing it at in other apps?
Opening  your test file in Affinity Designer, it is 6750 x 1800 pixels @72ppi, which gives a potentially printed image of 93.75” x 25”.
Changing the ppi to 300 gives your expected size of 22.5” x 5.5”.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Mark,

I am afraid I cannot tell you the display info on Inkscape or the Shaper Origin (a portable computerized router).  I am not well-versed in either.  I was just wondering if I was doing something wrong when exporting from DA.  I can resolve my problem two ways: If I import the image into Inkscape, I can set the dimensions and export it again.  The new file then opens correctly in Shaper Origin.  Or, if I import the DA file into SO, I can scale the image to the correct size before placing it for cutting.  I just wondered why what I am exporting is different from what AD says I am exporting.  In other words, if it says the image is 22..5 inches wide when I export it, why is it so much bigger when I open it in another program, or when you open it is AD? Seems like I am doing something wrong in DA.

Thanks,

Neal

Mark,

I searched the Shaper site and found some settings I needed to adjust in AD.  I finally got a file to export that opens correctly in Shaper. It is still off in Inkscape, but I don't need to open it in there anyway.

FYI, the Shaper site says to export it with 72 DPI.

Thanks again for you assistance.

Neal

As you have a viable workaround, then at least you can use that for now, which is good.
The important thing is that the actual pixel count of your file isn’t changing so you are not loosing any quality. Apps use the ppi to assume what the finished physical size should be. But it is just attached metadata and can usually be overruled.
Out of curiosity, was the original AD file created at 300ppi?
If so then the question is why dose the .svg exported from AD now import back into AD at 72ppi  and at 96ppi in Inkscape?
I think this is possibly to do with the ppi metadata in the exported .svg file from AD not subsequently being read correctly in other apps.
I’m sure I read another post around here some place of others experiencing a similar thing?…
Sadly I can’t find it now!

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Yes, Mark. It is baffling why the PPIs differ depending on what program opens the file.  I guess the techies at Shaper figured out what works with their machine, which is what I will be using AD for.  I appreciate your looking into this for me.  This is my first project with AD and have to say it is easier to use than the other vector programs I have tried.

Neal