You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Search function needed for keyboard shortcuts

Many of the keyboard shortcuts that I am encountering in Publisher, Designer, and Photo are different than the standard keystrokes which were established by leading software titles previously. To address this productivity-hampering discrepancy, one must go to Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts. There, we are faced with a huge list of shortcuts which we must scroll through in order to find the one that we wish to change. Instead of having to go through this time consuming scrolling routine, there should be a search field specifically for shortcuts. This would enable us to stay more focussed on our work, and make the transition to Serif's software less of a headache.

18 hours ago, photoshop1.0 said:

Many of the keyboard shortcuts that I am encountering in Publisher, Designer, and Photo are different than the standard keystrokes which were established by leading software titles previously. To address this productivity-hampering discrepancy, one must go to Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts. There, we are faced with a huge list of shortcuts which we must scroll through in order to find the one that we wish to change. Instead of having to go through this time consuming scrolling routine, there should be a search field specifically for shortcuts. This would enable us to stay more focussed on our work, and make the transition to Serif's software less of a headache.

I, too, miss this feature from time to time. In the meantime I have found two ways to narrow down what I am looking for:

1. This online help page lists all keyboard shortcuts on one page grouped by certain use cases and tools. I find this much easier to scroll through to look for a certain function and to look up its associated keyboard shortcut (but it still requires scrolling).
  2. In Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts type into any field a shortcut you want to look up (or assign). If it is already taken a yellow triangle with exclamation mark shows up and by hovering over it you see a tool tip telling where the shortcut is already assigned to.

Especially the second one is close to a dedicated shortcut search 🙂

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 3 months later...

I too have this problem.  A search in the shortcut manager would be good.

Having a list of shortcuts is good, but what I need is the broad category or menu item (Edit, View, Tools, etc.)  to look for the shortcut in the Manager.

Maybe this exists somewhere and someone could point me to it.

Thanks for listening ...

Bob

Bob                

Windows 10           Affinity Designer:  1.8.5.703

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/30/2020 at 5:01 AM, dominik said:

In Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts type into any field a shortcut you want to look up (or assign). If it is already taken a yellow triangle with exclamation mark shows up and by hovering over it you see a tool tip telling where the shortcut is already assigned to.

It is my experience that this is not a global search.

If you are in say, FILE, (left side menu drop down box of the Shortcut Panel), only commands that are in the FILE menu will be searched.

Doesn't do any good looking for LOCK, HIDE or any other command, if you don't know which menu item they are under.

A global search search would look at all commands regardless of menu ....

Bob                

15 minutes ago, Eagle Works said:

If you are in say, FILE, (left side menu drop down box of the Shortcut Panel), only commands that are in the FILE menu will be searched.

I just double checked and it is working for me indepent from which section of the dropdowns I have selected. It finds all shortcuts and shows an exclamation mark.

Let's drill down what are the differences in what we do. I am on Windows, 1.9.0.863 beta (set to Enlish).
I also tried in 1.8.5.703 release version (set to German) and it behaves the same.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

OK, I'll collect the info and get back with you.

I just want to make sure I am doing it right.

I'm in the shortcut panel.

It shows Designer and File in the two drop down boxes on the upper left corner.

I go over to search on the upper right corner.

I type in Paste FX and press enter.

Nothing happens.

Is there something I am missing?

If I change File to Edit, then I see a list of commands for the Edit menu.  And that is where Paste FX is.

That is OK, but that is not a search for me.

Say I was looking for something obscure like Set Fill to None.  I wouldn't have a clue which menu item it would be under.

A search should show me all occurrences of that command in a list and hopefully which menu item it would be under..

So ... I want to make sure I understand how the search should work in the Shortcut Panel.

Maybe I just got it all wrong. Wouldn't be the first time!

Thanks for listening ...

Bob                

20 hours ago, Eagle Works said:

I go over to search on the upper right corner.

I type in Paste FX and press enter.

Nothing happens.

I understand. The search field in the top right corner is a search in the preferences not the shortcuts. I admit, it is misleading, but that's how it works.

You type into the field right of the menu entries name. And if the shortcut is taken an exclamation mark pops up.

So you are right, there is no way to search for a menu entry, but only for shortcuts.

d.

I recall Digital Performer had a very well thought out system of searching for "Commands" (their term for "Keyboard Shortcuts") you could search for menu items or search for the key F on its own or Shift + F or whatever modifier.

Apple's Logic has some useful stuff for finding the keyboard shortcuts but I think MOTU was better. Of course my memory is my memory.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 3 months later...

I guess we can learn to be happy with what we have and hope for the future!

I use a keyboard macro program (Macro Express Pro, and there are many others) to do a number of things for me.

One I like is a shortcut to give me View/Studio in one fell swoop instead of several clicks.

Also, to set swatch, color, stroke and other tasks.

I know, not much, but sometimes it just irritates me to have to drill down for something over and over.

Thanks for listening ...

Bob

Bob