You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Current percentage of scaled image needed in "info" window

I currently have a PSD placed as a link in AP. I have scaled the PSD. However, as noted by others, there is no "info" window which will tell me the current percentage that the image has been scaled to. This is a feature that the industry has been relying upon with other software for decades.

Is this very basic feature available in AP at a glance? If not, can we please make it available?

Nothing for at-a-glance information, at least to my knowledge. What I do is go to Document > Resource Manager...

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

PSD files, like PDF, are considered embedded documents (or linked documents) rather than images, and this information is not currently displayed for embedded/linked documents.

With images (JPEG, PNG, TIFF, RAW files, etc.) this is displayed in the context toolbar.

12 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

What I do is go to Document > Resource Manager...

Do you see placed size in percentage in the Resource Manager?
To me it shows original size in unit pixels and placed size in documents unit. No percentage, rather more calculation needed.

170940032_resourcemanagerPDF-noplacedpercentage.jpg.96d505578d557c5473a530ac50b52040.jpg

Actually I would expect and want the Transform Panel showing percentage as an option. Currently I can type % as unit for a transformation – but never get % presented as result.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

2 hours ago, thomaso said:

Actually I would expect and want the Transform Panel showing percentage as an option. Currently I can type % as unit for a transformation – but never get % presented as result.

Also, using percentage in the Transform panel represents the percentage transform from the current size within the document, not from the original size of the image.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 7/29/2020 at 4:52 PM, Old Bruce said:

Nothing for at-a-glance information, at least to my knowledge. What I do is go to Document > Resource Manager...

I tried Resource Manager as well. It showed me PPI*, but it did not show the percentage of image scaling. Even Quark displayed % at a glance for placed images, way back in the 90s.

*Actually, the Affinity apps erroneously use the term "DPI", but that is another conversation.

On 7/29/2020 at 8:51 PM, fde101 said:

PSD files, like PDF, are considered embedded documents (or linked documents) rather than images, and this information is not currently displayed for embedded/linked documents.

With images (JPEG, PNG, TIFF, RAW files, etc.) this is displayed in the context toolbar.

A PSD is a Photoshop Document. As such, it is an image format. So, it should be treated the same as the other image file types that you mentioned. PDFs should also be handled the same way in order to try to be on par with InDesign, in addition to making Publisher as flexible as possible. Incidentally, InDesign has been able to handle PSDs in exactly the same way as other images for what feels to me like about 20 years. So, the only reason I can think of as to why Serif would inhibit the handling of PSDs in Publisher is to dissuade users from using Photoshop, and use Affinity Photo instead. If that is the case it is a terrible move, in my opinion, as I believe the only way to upstage InDesign will be to do everything that it is able to do, and more. Not less and/or not as easily and quickly.

2 hours ago, photoshop1.0 said:

A PSD is a Photoshop Document. As such, it is an image format.

A Photoshop document may contain images, but it is not itself an image according to the Affinity products.  Same with Affinity Photo documents - they are treated as documents, not images, by the software.

Note that I am not arguing against providing the sizing information for embedded or linked documents - if it is provided for images, it should likely be provided for embedded/linked documents also, for improved consistency - but I do agree with the delimiting of PSDs as documents rather than simple images.