I'm trying to precisely place a rectangle. The canvas is 34x34. The rectangle is 34x34, at (0,0), so the rectangle should fill the canvas, but it doesn't. Note the very small edge of the transparent canvas background showing through on the right edge.

This leads me to mistrust all the sizing and placing features, on all my layers, most hidden in the uploaded image.

Affinity 200729.png

Hi @TinaInNH,

Welcome to the forums :)

Can you please save, then attach a copy of the .afdesign file shown in your screenshot here? This should allow me to identify any issues with your document. Many thanks in advance!

6 hours ago, TinaInNH said:

The canvas is 34x34. The rectangle is 34x34, at (0,0),

It is in Pixels? It is whole pixel? (without decimal part - Preferences/UI Options/Decimal Places for Unit Types set to more digits). 

Affinity Store: Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 1.8.3.
Windows 10 Pro, Version 2004, Build 19041.388.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080.
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200.

The origin of the rulers is slightly off the canvas in your document, so your rectangle at (0, 0) is slightly misaligned with the canvas. Double-click the intersection of the rulers to reset the origin to the upper left corner of the canvas, and then position the rectangle at (0, 0) or snap it to the canvas.

I can reproduce a similar anomaly in latest beta (but not in the release version) of Affinity Designer by adding an artboard the size of which is  e.g. 34.5 inches wide and 34 high, then creating a rectangle the size of which is 34 x 34 inches, detach the rectangle from the artboard, then deleting the artboard. Now even if I resize the document to 34 x 34 inches, I get the following (the following screenshot is taken after redimensioning the document, so the setting does not affect the former artboard which seems to remain there as a kind of a ghost object):

size_anomaly.jpg.30c0caca54494b4d25c844eff942f95a.jpg

This may be related to changes in beta related to support of bleeds (which do not work correctly with artboards in Designer).

[So if your problem was not fixed by doing what was advised above by @anon2] do you have the release version of Designer or the beta, and could it be that you initially had an artboard in the document but which subsequently was deleted?

2 hours ago, anon2 said:

The origin of the rulers is slightly off the canvas in your document, so your rectangle at (0, 0) is slightly misaligned with the canvas. Double-click the intersection of the rulers to reset the origin to the upper left corner of the canvas, and then position the rectangle at (0, 0) or snap it to the canvas.

Just a visual reference for anon2’s answer.
image.png.34ddbee4d640586055e0927fec038b43.png

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions