You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

App won't let me place the cursor at the end of a line

As shown below, when I'm trying to insert the edit cursor at the end of a line of text, the cursor changes to the one used when changing the text box size. It's as if the tolerance for when the cursor appears is too wide. The problem is very annoying at low zoom, but even at the high zoom used in the screen capture, it still happens.

Please fix.

screen-cap.jpg

I assume there is nothing which can be fixed, unless the alternative move cursor gets lost. Indeed it can be tricky to place the cursor at the edge in particular for glyphs with low width or even invisibles, while for wider characters placing the cursor just over the letter, not after, works easier. A workaround would be using the keyboard arrow keys to move the cursor.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

A workaround would be using the keyboard arrow keys to move the cursor.

That's how I'm working now and it's tedious. There must be a setting in the software that determines when the cursor is close enough to a text box border so it switches to the cursor for text box resizing. They just need to narrow that tolerance so it doesn't overlap the text.

1 hour ago, Chris Christner said:

They just need to narrow that tolerance so it doesn't overlap the text.

If "just the tolerance" would be set then more users might complain because it becomes too difficult to achieve the alternative cursor. I wonder if its nudge distance can be set different to left and right of the edge in terms of inside vs. outside, and this way accordingly to the beginning and the end of a line. That would be mother's finest. – Do I understand right: You fight for needing one single click less – which is how often in use?

31 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Click anywhere in the textline>press the end key on your keyboard

On a macbook it's fn + right arrow / fn + left arrow

If "just the tolerance" would be set then more users might complain because it becomes too difficult to achieve the alternative cursor. I wonder if its nudge distance can be set different to left and right of the edge in terms of inside vs. outside, and this way accordingly to the beginning and the end of a line. That would be mother's finest. –

I don't see why people would complain. I use Photoshop and the cursor only changes when you're on top of the text box border. Why a user would want it to do otherwise is beyond me.

Do I understand right: You fight for needing one single click less – which is how often in use?

Not one click less, if I'm editing text by pasting from a PDF individual lines of text that used to be a paragraph, it's reasonable to expect that I can position the cursor at the end of a line of text and paste new text after it. But if it's around a border, the cursor won't let me, so I have to pick a spot a word or so inward, click to position the text editing cursor, and then hit the arrow key to reach the end the line so I can paste. Do that while creating a 300 page software reference and you'll quickly get tired of the needless tedium.

6 hours ago, cchris said:

I don't see why people would complain. I use Photoshop and the cursor only changes when you're on top of the text box border. Why a user would want it to do otherwise is beyond me.

This makes me wonder where in OP's screenshot is the text frame border? I noticed that it shows the cursor but no border, but haven't been aware before that this would mean the cursor changed in this case without being exactly over the border, as it does in my screencast for instance, where seems to exist no space for reducing the nudge distance.

@Chris Christner, can you show another screenshot with the frame border visible?
If the distance is larger than in my screencast, do you still experience this behavior after closing and relaunching the app?

20 minutes ago, Chris Christner said:

Notice how far in from the right side the cursor had to move before I was able to place the text editing cursor. It's a pain as it is now.

Thanks for the video. Yes, there is definitely something wrong, I have never experienced any disturbingly large distance for the switching cursor, – this appears extreme.

• Were the text frames + styles created in APub, or are they a PDF or IDML conversion?
• Do you get this issue in every text column, with every frame, and in every document?
• What if you close + relaunch the app?
• Could you upload an .afpub, containing the text frame + text styles of your video?

Notice what kind of cursor it is. That is not the cursor for moving or resizing an object or text frame (which is what is shown in Thomoso's video). Rather, the cursor in Chris's screenshot and video is the one used when dragging out the width of the studio docks or when repositioning a horizontal guide. 

@Chris Christner Is it possible that there is a guide there that is misbehaving? This is just a guess, but maybe you have guides set to not show, and there is a guide in that position that is interfering when it shouldn't.

I just started using Publisher this week after finally giving up on QuarkXPress. The attached (page 4 only) is the first doc I created using a PDF of a Quark doc. There are no guides I can see other than what was created using the Guides manager. The styles came in from the PDF pretty much as you see them, although I tweaked them to work properly in APub.

CLOUDSP_datasheet.afpub

@Chris Christner Thanks for uploading that file. There is a definite bug, and that file you shared will be useful for Serif at testing. What I can see is that the tool for aligning the columns is far out of alignment. With that file, hover over toward the edge of the fourth column until it gives the cursor in discussion. When you see that cursor, go ahead and click-drag horizontally. While you do that, watch the width of the first column. It resizes the first column.

I am certain this is a bug, and I vaguely recall coming across something similar in another thread (maybe I even posed on it).

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with the way you have set up the file, and it is not simply a tolerance issue as we first thought.

@Chris Christner,  I assume that only this specific frame is affected, – correct?

I get this occurrence, too, but I am able to copy/paste the styled text to a newly created frame and get rid of the issue this way. The issue appears to be related to the columns of this frame (and I vague have in mind this or a quite similar issue got reported for an earlier app version already).