You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Jagged/Pixelated edges using Marquee Tool

Afternoon all,

This may have been covered before but I'm absolutely furious with AP and at my last nerve.

I'm using the marquee tool to straighten out and delete areas in artwork I'm editing but it is leaving it really jagged.  I've attached a photo to show what I mean.

Is anyone else having the same issue?  Does anyone have a better method or solution other than using the eraser again and again and again?

Thanks in advance

Adam

Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 13.58.42.png

Welcome to the forums.
Can you give us a bit more information about what you are trying to do? Not the process you are using but the thing you are trying to achieve.
I only ask as I would not be trying to ‘straighten’ things with any of the Marquee tools.

• Staff

Hi @ripitup_startagain,

Welcome to the forums :)

Sorry hear you're having trouble! Can you please provide a screenshot showing the full Affinity app, including your Snapping settings?

As Gary has asked above - can you expand on what you're trying to do with this tool, as it may not be the best option for your workflow.

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

7 hours ago, GarryP said:

Welcome to the forums.
Can you give us a bit more information about what you are trying to do? Not the process you are using but the thing you are trying to achieve.
I only ask as I would not be trying to ‘straighten’ things with any of the Marquee tools.

Yep.  So they're scans of collages and on Photoshop I would previously use the Marquee tool to remove any unwanted white space, so that there would eventually be a square collage with straight edges on an A5 page.  However when I'm trying this on Affinity it's leaving a jagged edge.

I think that makes sense...

5 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi @ripitup_startagain,

Welcome to the forums :)

Sorry hear you're having trouble! Can you please provide a screenshot showing the full Affinity app, including your Snapping settings?

As Gary has asked above - can you expand on what you're trying to do with this tool, as it may not be the best option for your workflow.

Many thanks in advance!

Hi Dan,

Does this screenshot help?

Screen_Shot_2020-07-29_at_22_35_16.png

Sounds like OP is using marquee tool to select and delete (or actually filling with white) select areas like photo edges which may bee scanned slightly tilted. Should work OK.

I wonder if jagged result is because halftone moire, not because something is not straight?

1 hour ago, Fixx said:

Sounds like OP is using marquee tool to select and delete (or actually filling with white) select areas like photo edges which may bee scanned slightly tilted. Should work OK.

I wonder if jagged result is because halftone moire, not because something is not straight?

That's right...I'm using the marquee tool to select unwanted areas of images (borders where there's just white space) because the 'white space' when scanning an image in which is smaller than A5 leaves me with a greyish background from the colour of the scanner ceiling.  The marquee tool (when I had Photoshop previously) would ensure that regardless of the orientation of the image, it would leave me with straight edges wherever I removed information. 

I've tried with and without a feather effect, but not sure what the halftone setting is you mentioned?

In your latest screenshot I can see the jagged edges which are often seen in scanned images which come from the original not being properly ‘squared up’ in the scanner.
To remove these you can either:
1) Use the Crop Tool to rotate the image until the jagged edges go away (probably a difficult and frustrating process);
2) Use the Rectangular Marquee Tool to select an area within the image while keeping the jagged edges outside of the selection;
3) Nest the image inside a slightly smaller rectangle layer;
4) Use Guides and the Crop Tool.
(There are other methods.)
In my attached video I have used the fourth method on a simulated scanned image.

23 hours ago, ripitup_startagain said:

Does anyone have a better method or solution other than using the eraser again and again and again?

Maybe you could attach the image that is causing trouble and we can check if marquee technique is causing trouble or is it a workflow/crop technique issue.

Probably you could just crop images as there probably is no merit in saving white borders.

On 7/30/2020 at 1:38 PM, Fixx said:

Maybe you could attach the image that is causing trouble and we can check if marquee technique is causing trouble or is it a workflow/crop technique issue.

Probably you could just crop images as there probably is no merit in saving white borders.

Sure.  I've attached the image that I'm editing.

Largely the problem can be solved with cropped on another document and copying over to the document I'm using to compile them on, but sometimes as you can see on the football image, it isn't always squared off...

Scan 3.jpeg

When using the Marquee tools, select the Marquee tool you want to use and also tick the 'Antialias' tick box in the Context Toolbar at the top (before making the selection).  However, as you previously mentioned using feather instead, it's likely that the below setting is what's causing the issue.

Go to [Affinity Photo Preferences > Performance] and change the 'View Quality' from 'Nearest Neighbour' to 'Bilinear (Best Quality)'.

22 minutes ago, - S - said:

When using the Marquee tools, select the Marquee tool you want to use and also tick the 'Antialias' tick box in the Context Toolbar at the top (before making the selection).  However, as you previously mentioned using feather instead, it's likely that the below setting is what's causing the issue.

Go to [Affinity Photo Preferences > Performance] and change the 'View Quality' from 'Nearest Neighbour' to 'Bilinear (Best Quality)'.

Good evening,

Thank you for that response.  I tried checking the Antialias box then deleting with marquee and it did the same even at 0 feathering.  I also checked the view quality and it is already on Bilinear!

I'm starting to think it's my MacBook but it's only about 3 years old...

2 hours ago, ripitup_startagain said:

Thank you for that response.  I tried checking the Antialias box then deleting with marquee and it did the same even at 0 feathering.  I also checked the view quality and it is already on Bilinear!

I'm starting to think it's my MacBook but it's only about 3 years old...

What appears to be happening, is the marquee antialiasing has no effect if the layer has been rotated before making the selection.  Or to think of it a different way, the jagged edges are coming from the rotated layer below, rather than the marquee itself.

If the layer has already been rotated, right-click on the rotated layer, select 'Rasterise' and then make the selection.  Do the jagged edges then disappear?

001.thumb.png.a824f92f6d63456de0585f3329562cce.png

7 hours ago, - S - said:

What appears to be happening, is the marquee antialiasing has no effect if the layer has been rotated before making the selection.  Or to think of it a different way, the jagged edges are coming from the rotated layer below, rather than the marquee itself.

If the layer has already been rotated, right-click on the rotated layer, select 'Rasterise' and then make the selection.  Do the jagged edges then disappear?

001.thumb.png.a824f92f6d63456de0585f3329562cce.png

No, they don't.  It might be my mind playing tricks on me but they look like they lessen with Rasterise, but still jagged.

8 hours ago, ripitup_startagain said:

I hadn't considered filling it in rather than erasing the informtion.

Really, if you do not have transparent background Delete appears exactly the same as fill with white.

On 8/4/2020 at 5:57 AM, Fixx said:

Really, if you do not have transparent background Delete appears exactly the same as fill with white.

Actually...it seems a bit hit and miss.  So far all the images I've tried to edit have a white layer behind but everything except the 'artwork' is transparant.  Sometimes the marquee leaves a razorblade straight line (when filling in with white), sometimes it's jagged...

• 5 weeks later...