You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Create a new document with more than 1 artboard

Hi,

I need to create a document with multiple 32x32px artboards in designer. I can't for the life of my find that setting where you can specify how many artboards. I don't wanna create 100 artboards, one at a time 🤨.
Does anyone know where it is?

I think there is no setting for specifying the number of artboards. Means I haven't found one. If you are able to produce a PDF with multiple blank 32x32px pages you can open them with ADesigner. Once you did this you can save the file as a template for later use. Attached you'll find a PDF with 25 pages for a test import.

32x32px.pdf

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

34 minutes ago, belief-begin-conjoin said:

I don't wanna create 100 artboards, one at a time 🤨.

You don’t have to! An artboard is just a special kind of object, so you can insert two and duplicate them four times to get an extra eight, and then duplicate all ten repeatedly until you have a hundred.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

11 minutes ago, Alfred said:

so you can insert two and duplicate them four times to get an extra eight, and then duplicate all ten repeatedly until you have a hundred

Nicer it would be, specifying this at document setup.

100-pages.afdesign

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

You don’t have to! An artboard is just a special kind of object, so you can insert two and duplicate them four times to get an extra eight, and then duplicate all ten repeatedly until you have a hundred.

True, but you still have to rename each artboard manually. Otherwise you have 100 artboards named Artboard1. 

2 minutes ago, belief-begin-conjoin said:

True, but you still have to rename each artboard manually. Otherwise you have 100 artboards named Artboard1. 

Yes, or fifty named ‘Artboard 1’ and another fifty named ‘Artboard 2’, or something like that! It would be so much better if duplicated objects were named with numerical suffixes incremented automatically.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Our four youngest children are all called Artboard1 which makes it much easier to call them all in for their dinner.

But if you want to export your children, how do you know who is who?

------

1 hour ago, belief-begin-conjoin said:

Just curious, but in practical terms would it really be very useful if say they were automatically named in a sequence like Artboard1, Artboard2, etc.?

If artboard names are important I think something more descriptive of the purpose or end use of each one would be better, but I can't think of any way to do that other than naming each one manually.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 hours ago, GarryP said:

But Artboard1 is such a nice name.
Our four youngest children are all called Artboard1 which makes it much easier to call them all in for their dinner.

Friend of mine was twelve years old when he realized his name was "David" and not "Richard...Roger...Gawddamit...David"

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

15 hours ago, belief-begin-conjoin said:

I don't wanna create 100 artboards,

Must be in separated Artboards? You can use the Grid with the separation of individual areas to draw icons.

https://affinityspotlight.com/article/designing-a-travel-icon-set-with-isabel-sousa/

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

15 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

100-pages.afdesign 1.72 MB

8 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Friend of mine was twelve years old when he realized his name was "David" and not "Richard...Roger...Gawddamit...David"

627637790_100pagesinAD2.jpg.336d5d944806211355b6ee71cf3e304b.jpg

I tried to auto-replace "Page" but couldn't find "Find & Replace" in AD 😜 ... So I learned to love to live with "Page"...

Grant Page (born 1939) is an Australian stuntman who worked mostly during the seventies and eighties. Page was the stunt coordinator for the popular Australian action movie Mad Max (1979), (...) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_Page

@belief-begin-conjoin,
are you sure that 100 entirely empty artboards would be a helpful start? Imagine you would need to fill each of them with content manually...

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 3 years later...
On 7/29/2020 at 11:54 PM, PÅ¡enda said:

Must be in separated Artboards? You can use the Grid with the separation of individual areas to draw icons.

https://affinityspotlight.com/article/designing-a-travel-icon-set-with-isabel-sousa/

Thanks so much for drawing my attention to this article! That's a very interesting approach - using the grid. What do you think, how does she export all those icons separately, from this one artboard? Does it have to do with the Export persona an creating slices? Thank so much for your insights!

Wera