You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Numerical entry of line width faulty

This is in reference to the Stroke panel with the Move Tool active and a line selected. I'm working in mm which may be salient here.  When I use numerical entry to set a line width, that width is not what shows in the panel nor the panel's icon in the menu bar. Say I enter 2 mm. The value shows as 0.5 mm which appears to be the correct, but not intended, size of the line. Now, say, I enter 4 mm  as the intended size. The resulting size is 1.1 mm. I enter 0.2 mm and get a 0.1 mm line.

Then a miracle appears to happen. The process begins to work properly for awhile. I have not, in the interim, fiddled with any other parameter of the line's attributes although I may have selected, then de-selected, other objects. But this good behavoir only lasts for awhile until I'm back to the aforementioned issue.

What you describe might be understandable if the figures you’ve quoted here are only approximate — because you could be confusing millimetres and points (e.g. 1.4 mm is 4 pt) — but unless you change your interface preferences part way through the process I wouldn’t expect the “miracle” to which you refer.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I'm not confusing mm and points but perhaps AD is. My document units are "Millimeters". In Preferences, "Text in points" is OFF, "Lines in points" is OFF. The display in the Strokes Panel shows "mm". Pref's have not been changed since the documents inception. The figures I quoted above are specific examples I ran as I posted. This is not a one-off problem, it recurs sporadically; I've yet to ascertain any states that lead to this.

I just created a fresh new document using millimeters, 96 DPI. Created a two point closed vector shape.

enter 0.1, reads 0    still an evident line though very thin

For the following, the line sizes appear to be as the "reads", the value show in the display, suggest.

enter 0.2, reads 0.1        enter 0.3, reads 0.1          enter 0.5, reads 0.5          enter 0.7, reads 0.2          enter 1, reads 0.3         enter 2, reads 0.5       enter 5, reads 1.3

Still no miracle transition to good behavoir.

43 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Hi @bpedit,

I can't replicate this here. Can you attach a screen recoding of this in action?

Attached is a recording with a document set to millimeters. I also tried a fresh doc with default settings and get different faulty behavior; in this case, the resulting line widths (in points) are generally half the entered value. this is especially un-nerving since it sometimes works. [Oops! I notice the left "taper" button is not level with the right. I assure you the behavior is the same when they are both at the top, level.]

My on-screen keypad (in AD on iPad Air 2) has a units selector at the top. I wonder why it’s missing from yours, but I think I’ve seen — or rather, not seen! — this before.

Alfred spacer.png

53 minutes ago, Alfred said:

My on-screen keypad (in AD on iPad Air 2) has a units selector at the top. I wonder why it’s missing from yours, but I think I’ve seen — or rather, not seen! — this before.

I think I have that as well now that I look. Between the numbers keypad and the display at the top is:   <    mm    >

Wait! I tried again and it's not there! Wait, it's back. Gone again and won't come back. Hmmm. . .

Maybe it's time to reinstall AD. (But I fear that because there also seems to be an issue with saving docs where the saved name does not match the document name. This may be related to creating copies of docs where the original name is retained internally by AD.) 

EDIT: I tried a re-install, still have the same issue.

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

I think I’ve seen — or rather, not seen! — this before

Eureka!

Alfred spacer.png