You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've recently switched from Adobe CC to the Affinity suite. 

One thing that I really rely on in InDesign is the Libraries function, so that I can save groups of layout items that I reuse frequently and then just drag and drop them onto whatever document I'm working on.

I use it mostly for interface mockups, so there's a lot of toolbars, buttons, icons, menu objects etc that I need to frequently reuse.

Neither the Symbols nor Assets functions seem to be exactly what I'm looking for. It isn't about managing imported graphics nor is it about updateable placeholders, it's about reusable sets of geometry, tables and text boxes with effects settings saved with them.

Is there anything like this in Publisher? If not, is it on a roadmap for a future release? 

(And yes, it'd be really cool if it could sync between machines via iCloud or Affinity's own sync service). 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @A.J. Kandy. :)

8 minutes ago, A.J. Kandy said:

It isn't about managing imported graphics

The Assets panel isn’t only for managing imported graphics. It’s ideal for storing any elements that you might want to reuse.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

9 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @A.J. Kandy. :)

The Assets panel isn’t only for managing imported graphics. It’s ideal for storing any elements that you might want to reuse.

Hi! OK. It wasn't clear how it worked, because unlike, say, the Styles palette which lets you 'add style from selection' the menu doesn't give you any clue other than 'Import assets'. 

How do I take a set of selected objects (grouped or not) and add them to Assets? Thanks :)

And, do assets sync between instances of Publisher, and/or are they available to any document (or shareable between users?) 

Thanks. FWIW, It doesn't work the way the help document says it should, and it's missing a lot of crucial features.

• Drag and drop into the Assets palette doesn't work (on Mac Catalina); you can only Add From Selection, and only then, after you've already created a Category. 
  • There ought to be a default basic Category in place so that it's ready for you to add things right away.
  • There's no contextual Add to Assets option when right-clicking an object, which is really essential if you're going to be doing this dozens of times a day. (It should add to the currently active asset set selected in the top dropdown). 
  • The panel only shows you a thumbnail - there's no List view nor a way to title the Assets, search or sort them, which is important when you may have hundreds of them - not even a way to set the thumbnail size (if you work on HiDPI monitors they'll be really small!) - when you might have dozens of smaller variations on an object. 
  • You can export and import assets to/from a file, but there's no cloud sync. This is important for backup as well as being able to share asset sets from a central library (and push updates to a team, for instance, so they have the latest set). I suppose there's some way to do this manually via Google Drive + aliases but it ought to be easier. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/7/2020 at 10:10 PM, a3creative said:

Question - is there a way of sharing library assets between all three programs (Photo, Designer & Publisher) and able to share between staff/team members? Like in Creative Cloud?

10 minutes ago, 2989 said:

I was wondering the same thing.

Please see: Using assets

(The ‘Sharing assets with collaborators’ section at the bottom of that page tells you how to export and import them.)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)