You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer: how to fade cog teeth individually along each long edge?

I'm trying to figure out a way to apply a transparency to the edges of cog teeth so they blend together with the background along the long edge of the teeth for each individual tooth. Is there a way to do this? So for the image, I want the brighter teeth to blend into the background so the long edges of each tooth is feathered. 

cog-tooth-fade-edges-note.jpg

cog-tooth-fade-edges.afdesign

Yeah, that could work, and it's better than using an inner glow with the background color since the final background won't be a solid color as it is in this example. I'd still like to know if there's a way to put a gradient transparency across each tooth.

Erich

1 hour ago, ELinder said:

Yeah, that could work, and it's better than using an inner glow with the background color since the final background won't be a solid color as it is in this example. I'd still like to know if there's a way to put a gradient transparency across each tooth.

Erich

You may be able to use the conical gradient for what you are after.  Actually you may find the conical version of the Transparency Tool better for what you are doing.  It will be some work as you'll have to set up points for each "tooth".  Actually a few points for each tooth where you want the fade to begin and end for each side.  I did just a couple teeth in the example.

cog-tooth-fade-edges example1.afdesign

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra