You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Don't count character style as paragraph override in context toolbar

I tend to use the Text Styles studio when working with styles, but I am experimenting with using the contextual toolbar for applying styles in certain contexts when I wish to hide the side bars for extra space. In view of that, I am a little jarred by seeing what would appear to be a local override, when in fact it is not. Please consider this screenshot snippet from the contextual toolbar:

1028138561_ScreenShot2020-07-28at9_02_38AM.png.596a27d74b3d29a28700f4f810e1c5eb.png

When I see the plus after the paragraph style name (Block quote), I am led to believe that there is a local override in the selection of text, and indeed, it would be indicated in just that way if there were. But in fact, when I open up the Text Styles studio to confirm, I see only that the extra formatting was just the character style, but that is already indicated in the contextual toolbar. When I look at the the contextual toolbar, I read it as the Italic character style and the Block quote paragraph style with something else indicated by the plus. There is no something else.

I suggest changing it so that there is no plus sign if the only additional formatting is a character style, since that is already indicated. That is my proposal, but I would like to hear what others have to say.

Additionally, I think it would be nice to show the full listing of formatting as in the "Current Formatting" field at the top of the Text Styles studio. This would not be regularly displayed, as the contextual toolbar needs economy of space, but there should be some way to show it, whether by hover or by an additional menu item at the bottom of the dropdown such as "Show current formatting."

15 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

Additionally, I think it would be nice to show the full listing of formatting as in the "Current Formatting" field at the top of the Text Styles studio. This would not be regularly displayed, as the contextual toolbar needs economy of space, but there should be some way to show it, whether by hover or by an additional menu item at the bottom of the dropdown such as "Show current formatting."

Perhaps I don't understand what you're asking for with that request, but it seems to be there already, for me:

image.png.8f26865173feb824259f1a1601aa5640.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

23 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

I was speaking with regard to what the contextual toolbar shows.

Ah. Sorry; it seemed like you were asking for an enhancement to the Text Styles panel, but I can see how I misread that request.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2020 at 9:19 AM, garrettm30 said:

I suggest changing it so that there is no plus sign if the only additional formatting is a character style, since that is already indicated.

I just discovered that this little improvement made it into the 1.8.4 release. From suggestion to release in a week! Thanks.

22 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

I just discovered that this little improvement made it into the 1.8.4 release.

I guess I spoke too soon. It looked as though my suggestion was implemented in the document I was working on yesterday (and I double checked today to find it still true), but in the document in front of me today, it functions as at the time this thread was created. This seems to be an inconsistency, perhaps a bug, so I invite you to have a look. I have saved a document with a snippet of text from both documents. In both frames, the only "override" is the addition of a character style (the same character style, in fact). But in the case of the top frame, adding a character style brings up the +, while doing the same to the text in the bottom frame does not.

I have attached the document for you to play with, and I have made this video with explanation that might be easier to follow than written words.

local override indicator.afpub