Douglas Wadsworth

Affinity Software very slow on brand new iMac

Posted (edited)

I have just bought a new iMac and have hardly any software on it. I have installed Affinity Designer, Photo and Publisher and opening files is very slow, maybe a minute!
So I created a new web file, which opened very fast, but when trying to close the new empty file it look a long time to close, the wheel of death was spinning for a long time.
One of the reasons I bought a new iMac was to speed up my applications but it has done nothing to speed up the Affinity software.

iMac specs:
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019)
Processor 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphics Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB

Edited by Douglas Wadsworth

How large are the files?

Try having Activity Monitor open (under /Applications/Utilities) while those "slow" operations are happening and watch to see if the CPU usage ("System" or "User" at the bottom of the "CPU" tab) or I/O bandwidth ("Reads in/sec" or "Writes out/sec" at the bottom of the "Disk" tab) has a significant spike while that is going on.  That should help to narrow down where the bottleneck is.

19 hours ago, Douglas Wadsworth said:

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

How large are the files?

Try having Activity Monitor open (under /Applications/Utilities) while those "slow" operations are happening and watch to see if the CPU usage ("System" or "User" at the bottom of the "CPU" tab) or I/O bandwidth ("Reads in/sec" or "Writes out/sec" at the bottom of the "Disk" tab) has a significant spike while that is going on.  That should help to narrow down where the bottleneck is.

The file that opened slowly was a 190mb PSD file.

I almost understand why a file might take time to open but I don't understand why a new file with no content would take almost a minute to close.

The file that opened slowly was a 190mb PSD file.

The iMac has a fusion drive.

I almost understand why a file might take time to open but I don't understand why a new file with no content would take almost a minute to close.