You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Software very slow on brand new iMac

I have just bought a new iMac and have hardly any software on it. I have installed Affinity Designer, Photo and Publisher and opening files is very slow, maybe a minute!
So I created a new web file, which opened very fast, but when trying to close the new empty file it look a long time to close, the wheel of death was spinning for a long time.
One of the reasons I bought a new iMac was to speed up my applications but it has done nothing to speed up the Affinity software.

iMac specs:
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019)
Processor 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphics Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB

Edited by Douglas Wadsworth

How large are the files?

Try having Activity Monitor open (under /Applications/Utilities) while those "slow" operations are happening and watch to see if the CPU usage ("System" or "User" at the bottom of the "CPU" tab) or I/O bandwidth ("Reads in/sec" or "Writes out/sec" at the bottom of the "Disk" tab) has a significant spike while that is going on.  That should help to narrow down where the bottleneck is.

19 hours ago, Douglas Wadsworth said:

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

How large are the files?

Try having Activity Monitor open (under /Applications/Utilities) while those "slow" operations are happening and watch to see if the CPU usage ("System" or "User" at the bottom of the "CPU" tab) or I/O bandwidth ("Reads in/sec" or "Writes out/sec" at the bottom of the "Disk" tab) has a significant spike while that is going on.  That should help to narrow down where the bottleneck is.

The file that opened slowly was a 190mb PSD file.

I almost understand why a file might take time to open but I don't understand why a new file with no content would take almost a minute to close.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have this issue too! New 2019 iMac:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019), 3.7 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5, 40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB

It can run After Effects and Final Cut Pro no problem, but the second I start doing things in Affinity Publisher activity monitor shows the software taking 500%+ of CPU.

As you can see in the image, the composition I'm working on isn't exactly complex, and every single element was created in Publisher (nothing imported from Photoshop).

Any help on this is much appreciated. We've built our business on Affinity products—which work fine on our laptops—but if we can't use them on an iMac without the computer seizing up then we'll have to figure something else out.

2020-10-07_00-47-34.png

Can you upload a video capture of your experience and/or a problematic file so that someone can replicate the issue?

Advertising designer - Austria —  Photo - Publisher - Designer — CS6 d&wP — Mac Pro 5,1 (4,1 2009) 48GB 2x X5690 - RX580 - 970EVO - OS X 10.14.6 - NEC2690wuxi2 - CD20"—  iPad Pro 12.9" gen1 128 GB - Pencil

9 hours ago, Cyan Cooper said:

What would you like me to show in a video? All my layers are there to see, along with the CPU spike in activity monitor. 

It probable would be of interest to know if the problem occurs with any file (if not upload a file) all the time (if not show in video when it occurs and goes away). For example like here https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/109840-too-slow-when-working-with-many-anchor-points/&tab=comments#comment-649753 but you can do it with https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208721 (I guess there is no spinning wait cursor you want to show)

But hey - I'm not Affinity - just a fan.

Advertising designer - Austria —  Photo - Publisher - Designer — CS6 d&wP — Mac Pro 5,1 (4,1 2009) 48GB 2x X5690 - RX580 - 970EVO - OS X 10.14.6 - NEC2690wuxi2 - CD20"—  iPad Pro 12.9" gen1 128 GB - Pencil

• 5 weeks later...