You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

When exporting a file the other day and sending it to someone else they saw different colors on the file. I took a picture of both my PC (left) and the other. I hope the difference is clear. The orange fill of the flowers is more blue. The letters don't have the same bright orange color. 

I noticed that the color wheels on both laptops look totally different. 

Can someone explain how this comes and what I can do about it?

Thank you!

Nils

Knipsel.PNG

Knipsel2.JPG

IMG_20200728_114806466.jpg

7 minutes ago, nilsbinnemans said:

Thank you for your answer, @BofG

Still no luck though. When I reopen the export options the ICC has dissappeared. Is that normal?

image.png.976cbae1d182170489a72084bbe7c54a.png

It is unfortunately normal that the previously used custom settings are forgotten. You can click 'manage presets' and create your own.

Another unfortunate Affinity behavior is that setting the ICC profile to "Use document profile" is not enough to create a preset. But if you set the JPG quality to a custom value other than the selected value - fx 99 - you can save the file. You don't have to do this if you changed another setting in export settings, then "create" will be enabled.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

23 minutes ago, Lee D said:

As it relates to colour I would check to see which profile the display is using in Windows as it may be this issue.

Yep. This is very likely the root cause. Or... all monitors and laptop screens are different. Most cheap monitors are calibrated for office work, movie watching or something in between. That is I always demonstrate my designs or images at work on MY calibrated, expensive monitor. Otherwise ... feedback Hell.

The two IDENTICAL standard monitors I initially got at work displayed colors very differently using factory settings. Maybe one was older than the older, but not much. You need at trusted, calibrated reference monitor.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

11 minutes ago, nilsbinnemans said:

Yes, even opened in the same source .afdesign file. (shown in the picture at top)

Hmm, in the picture at the top the screen on the right has a jpeg open.

Anyway, maybe the suggestion to check the display profile is worth a try (I have to admit that boggles my mind a bit as I thought the display profile was an independent thing that adjust colours after the fact, I guess maybe Affinity taps into it somehow??).

1 hour ago, BofG said:

that boggles my mind a bit as I thought the display profile was an independent thing that adjust colours after the fact,

Just imagine an image with a profile in grayscale or CMYK. Since display profiles are always RGB, two different screens can display the colors of a certain image differently depending on their profile and calibration. Note that a display profile always concerns a specific hardware (the monitor), you even can get different results when copying a profile of one monitor to another of the same brand and model. Also image profiles maybe hardware related, e.g. for a certain printing machine, but don't have to be and most often aren't.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

That much I understand. But what is being implied here is that the display profile is altering the document colour values. That is a completely different thing. If the OP has the same document on two machines, then for sure they can look different, but wouldn't the reported colour values be from the file? Or does Affinity really run this through the display profile and report the values that comes back from that process?

36 minutes ago, BofG said:

If the OP has the same document on two machines, then for sure they can look different, but wouldn't the reported colour values be from the file? Or does Affinity really run this through the display profile and report the values that comes back from that process?

I am currently not sure what actually is different in the OP's situation.

The last info was: "There is still a difference in color between machines, no matter what format I export to."
This doesn't talk about value or visual impression but just a difference in color.

Also we did not get feedback from the OP whether the initial screenshots show files which have the same color profiles – or whether those were created afterwards – and what exactly was changed for the feedback "There is still a difference in color between machines, no matter what format I export to."

What role does "format" play in this feedback: a typo that should mean 'profile' – or indeed a different format, selected in the JPG export 'More' options at "Pixel Format" and thus exported with a different color space, not aware of the color profile?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

5 hours ago, Lagarto said:

If I open the following .afdesign file with an embedded AdobeRGB profile in an environment where I have sRGB as working space color profile, I do not get any warning, but the app auto-assigns the opened file the sRGB profle.

FWIW, I am not sure what file you are testing with but on my Mac when I open a file with an embedded "Adobe RGB (1998)" profile in AD, the working profile is not changed if "Convert opened files to working space" is unchecked.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

12 hours ago, Lagarto said:

But it should never auto-assign a profile and accordingly override existing profile without user's consent. This behavior would cause this kind of unexpected color difference between two systems, when the whole idea of color management is to avoid these kinds of problems.

+100 Absolutely.  Color management is already complex, no app should doing "here, let me just quietly make this change for you" on any input file or device, monitor or other display, export file format, or print device.  All color profile assignments must be explicit.  No implicit, automatic profile overrides of a system- or file-associated profile.  All profile assignments must be settable by the user, and resettable to the system- or file-associated profile.