You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF for print overly large

I have exported a publication for offset printing. The resulting PDF for just 12 pages is 128 Mb whereas when I export using InDesign the file is 40 Mb. 

When I export the complete book via Affinity Publisher it is 2.6 Gb whereas via InDesign it is 820 Mb. So files are three times larger through Affinity Publisher than through InDesign.

The result is that the printer can't run the files as they are too large. I had to take the Affinity PDFs, place them in InDesign and export from there.

I've uploaded a screen shot of the PDF settings FYI.

Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 10.52.08 am.png

Tried converting all photos to CMYK then exporting. Made little difference. The sample file went from 121.4 Mb to 117.8 Mb. So there is another reason for the over large files. Lagarto's sample files also show the difference when exporting via Affinity vs InDesign.

PLEASE can this be fixed. Also the bloated file sizes mentioned in earlier posts.

I saw a PDF before from another user having this kind of issue - the images in it were not being properly resampled. Opening it in Designer (I don't have Publisher) and checking the images showed they were 300DPI at actual size, but in the document they were displayed only at about 3% of that. So the effective DPI was insane.

Here is a copy of the Resource manager... I tried changing all files to CMYK in Photo and it made no difference to the final PDF.

I have just started working on another book and with only text the files seem too big (650 kb for 6 pages of just text!!).

Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 2.58.57 pm.png