drrohle

CS2 AI import (open) in Designer missing sub-layers

I'm a new user to Designer 1.8.3.641 and I have many .ai and EPS documents that have multiple layers and sub-layers.  When I open any of these documents in Designer, the sub-layers are missing on both the layers panel and of course in the workspace screen.  Am I doing something wrong here?  The original doc's are AI CS2 files and some exported to .eps files.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

The .ai file format is proprietary, and can only be used by Designer if it was saved with the compatibility option to include a PDF version. Since you're seeing some of the data, your files probably have that PDF information.

However, another aspect of AI saving these files is that if you have layers that are outside of the artboard, those layers are not included in the PDF part of the file. Perhaps that could explain your missing sub-layers?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.734 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.734 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.742 Beta.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

The .ai file format is proprietary, and can only be used by Designer if it was saved with the compatibility option to include a PDF version. Since you're seeing some of the data, your files probably have that PDF information.

However, another aspect of AI saving these files is that if you have layers that are outside of the artboard, those layers are not included in the PDF part of the file. Perhaps that could explain your missing sub-layers?

That's the issue alright Walt!  Some of the layers ARE out of the artboard box.  Wonder if I could just make the artboard bigger in AI?  --  I'll try it.  Now if I can figure out how to resize the arboard and keep all the sub-layers?? 

Thanks man!

Edited by drrohle

You're welcome. Good luck getting it working; I cannot help with that.

-- Walt

Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.734 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.734 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.742 Beta.

6 hours ago, drrohle said:

Now if I can figure out how to resize the arboard

Artboard behaves as any object and you can change it size by dragging or with transform panel.

4 hours ago, Fixx said:

Artboard behaves as any object and you can change it size by dragging or with transform panel.

But it needs to be done in AI. Does that work there, too.

-- Walt

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

But it needs to be done in AI. Does that work there, too.

I resized the artboard, resaved the AI document and opened it in Designer.  Works perfectly!  Thanks everyone for all your help.

--Dean