You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Keep with next" option is obscure in panel

As shown in the attached images, Publisher 1.8.3 the panel is obscuring most of the "Keep with next" option (all you can see is "Ke" on the right side. Widening the panel doesn't help (it's after the "Prevent widowed last lines" option).

Also, it's hard to tell from the description, but does "Keep with next" keep the current paragraph with the following paragraph? I hope it does because it's a standard option in page layout apps. In my case, I have a heading style that I want to stay with the following paragraph in case that paragraph moves to a new column or page.

Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 1.03.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 1.04.16 PM.png

Hi and welcome to the forums @Chris Christner,

I am certain that this has been reported previously. I have a similar looking panel. It is fixed in the Beta. You can set up a paragraph style and see all the various options.

Curious if your Bullets and Numbering section is as messed up as mine is.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Basically what it says, it keeps paragraphs with Keep With Next turned on with the following paragraph. Say you have a heading and want the following paragraph to be on the same page, it will skip to the nest page if the heading is the last line on a page. Limited use but it could be essential.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

12 minutes ago, Chris Christner said:

Actually, that's what I hoped it did. It was the description in help (something about keeping lines together) that was confusing.

Thanks again!

Real early here on the Left Coast, yes it is about the lines. I was conflating/confusing the various Keep... properties. Each is useful, but limited overall so I have them turned off all the time.

1459067417_ScreenShot2020-07-29at7_08_05AM.thumb.png.2726d4b9131231fab1df270fdc0e1cba.png

6 minutes ago, Chris Christner said:

that sounds like a handy feature once I can access it.

As I said this problem with the panels is fixed (for me) in the beta (I am assuming you are on Mac) you can download it here: 

23 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I am certain that this has been reported previously.

4 hours ago, Chris Christner said:

Sorta healed itself.

I experienced self-healing, too, while others still need to reset the app to fix this panels appearance. So it is hard to track but logged already...

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff

Hi all,

We are aware of this and it has already been logged with our developers. 

23 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

As I said this problem with the panels is fixed (for me) in the beta (I am assuming you are on Mac) you can download it here: 

Sadly it's not fixed :( I still get it in that build. 

image.png

8 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Hi all,

We are aware of this and it has already been logged with our developers. 

Sadly it's not fixed :( I still get it in that build. 

Hi,

I just checked my Beta version and the difference is that I was using the Dark interface for the Beta with no sign of this problem. Once I switched to the Default OS interface (which is light) The Problem occurred after a restart of Publisher. Changed back to the Dark interface and it went away.

40 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Once I switched to the Default OS interface (which is light) The Problem occurred after a restart of Publisher. Changed back to the Dark interface and it went away.

A little different with a test for me: it occurred immediately when I switched from dark to light, still appeared after an app relaunch, still was there when I set back to dark – but then disappeared after an app relaunch in dark mode. (my OS default is light, as for Bruce).

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1