You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Missing rectangular selection tool Mac osx Catalina

Hello;

The rectangular selection tool does not appear in Catalina, I have just acquired Affinity Photo version 1.8.3 and as much as I am looking for it I do not see it, I am not sure that it is a bug or that my experience with Affnity is little.
Attached screenshot, showing that the rectangular selection tool is missing.
I need help with this
Thank you
Regards.

Regards.119573853_Capturadepantalla2020-07-27alas18_36_23.thumb.png.5fddc222b1d74cc493127a207bcc82a0.png

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @jpineroa.

I wonder if you might have used View > Customize Tools to change the layout of the Tools panel, and left something out?

The default Tools layout on Windows (which should match the layout on Mac) is:
image.png.11601829d44c1e00458f32c0f76cce10.png

That's different from your arrangement. You might try View > Customize Tools, then click on Reset near the bottom.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @jpineroa.

I wonder if you might have used View > Customize Tools to change the layout of the Tools panel, and left something out?

The default Tools layout on Windows (which should match the layout on Mac) is:
image.png.11601829d44c1e00458f32c0f76cce10.png

That's different from your arrangement. You might try View > Customize Tools, then click on Reset near the bottom.

First of all thanks for the help, I still have a lot to learn with this application, well, I have performed the action that you indicate, in the sequence that you have indicated, and the rectangular selection tool has appeared, but it does not appear in color, continue in monochrome, is it this color? or something is wrong around here.
Can you clarify it for me.
Greetings and thanks again
Joseph

There is a Preference setting in the Affinity applications for monochrome iconography. Perhaps you have that set?

(Not near my PC right now or if tell you where it's located.)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

39 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

There is a Preference setting in the Affinity applications for monochrome iconography. Perhaps you have that set?

(Not near my PC right now or if tell you where it's located.)

Again thank you very much, I am learning the interface of Affinity, fixed.
A suggestion for future updates, you could have the option to scale the iconography, I have a monitor with a high resolution and although I could change the resolution, I am not interested in doing it for my work, the issue is that the iconography looks quite small, I don't know If you are the right person to make this suggestion, but there it is.
Regards
Jose

2 hours ago, jpineroa said:

I don't know If you are the right person to make this suggestion

No, I'm just a user.

There's a section of the forums for feature requests, and you can create a new topic there to make your suggestion, or find an existing one to concur with.

-- Walt
PC:

6 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi jpineroa,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
What's your monitor size and resolution? Do you have the Resolution set to Default for display in the Displays section on macOS System Preferences or something else?

Hi MEB,

It is in default mode for this screen, I am not interested in changing to another resolution since it is the ideal one for my work, hence I suggest the topic of being able to scale the iconography in the future as I usually do in GIMP, without having to change the default screen resolution.

my resolution is: iMac 27" 5k (5120x2880)

Regards

• Staff

I understand changing the screen resolution to something else other than the native screen resolution is not helpful for various reasons. I just wanted to confirm you were using the default resolution for your Mac and not a scaled one or the More Space setting. I'm using a 28" 4K monitor (3840x2160) and the UI/iconography is perfectly useable but i see you are using a bit smaller screen with a much higher resolution than me. As walt suggested you may want to add your voice to the Feedback section - there's already a thread requesting improvements in this area (here's the link). Thanks for the additional info and feedback.

3 hours ago, MEB said:

I understand changing the screen resolution to something else other than the native screen resolution is not helpful for various reasons. I just wanted to confirm you were using the default resolution for your Mac and not a scaled one or the More Space setting. I'm using a 28" 4K monitor (3840x2160) and the UI/iconography is perfectly useable but i see you are using a bit smaller screen with a much higher resolution than me. As walt suggested you may want to add your voice to the Feedback section - there's already a thread requesting improvements in this area (here's the link). Thanks for the additional info and feedback.

Thank you, I have put it in the thread that you have indicated in the link.
Hopefully this suggestion is well received and in future updates from this great editor we will have the truth that I miss it, especially if you are at a certain distance from the monitor.
Best regards.
Jose

Edited by jpineroa