You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer: Pencil stroke effect

Hello,

One of my authors writers works with a graphic designer working on the Adobe suite. His remark amazes me, and I would like to know what’s going on with the Affinity suite, and in particular with Affinity Designer using a graphical tablet.

Here’s what he says to me:

After comparing the rendering of the two .AI and .PNG from my graphic designer, it seems to me that the .AI format erases a lot of the details of the PNG pencil stroke and also a lot of what gives character and identity to the character.

Well! Reproducing the effect of the pencil in vectorial is not exactly the subject of some extensions (either on Adobe or on Affinity)? Which ones?

For my part, for DTP, I very much prefer to receive a vector image, because the drawing is then always very clear. What to say to him?

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

Affinity cannot produce a vector brush stroke, the brush stroke is not expandable because the actual brush texture is a PNG file (raster) thus the brushstroke cannot be expanded into a vector shape. the PNG textures form is however controlled by a vector curve, you can imagine this as an image on an elastic band

Because the brush is PNG raster/pixel the nuances of pixels will give a more authentic look to the pencil effect, probably more so than a vector shape or collection thereof, an example of an attempt to create a true vector pencil brush would be the collection of small vector squares of varying shades emulating graphite or coloured pencils.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks Firtsdefence.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?