You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

high noise importing high ISO NEF files from Nikon into Affinity Photo

Hello,

I am having problems working with a specific set of NEF files I shot using my Nikon D610 SLR.

The other night I shot some photos of Comet Neowise. I planned to use stacking, and shot 9 photos in a series. I can bring most of these images into Affinity Photo and either develop them or create a new stack without a problem. All but this one set of stacked images.

This set of photos is unique from the others in that they were all shot at very high ISO (25,600), where all my other NEF images are much lower (3000 or less). I can view these images in the MacOS Finder, in Preview, in GraphicConverter, and in other applications, and they are rendered fine, even in GraphicConverter's RAW processor (which is inferior to Affinity Photo's). But if I try to open one of these RAW files for developing in Affinity Photo, I get a display of random RGB noise. The first few lines of pixels in the image show normal, but the rest is noise. And when I create a stack of these in Affinity Photo, the top band of the image is fine, but the area of random noise is evident, although greatly reduced due to the stack mean. Affinity Photo does report the correct photo data (ISO, camera, lens, etc.).

Attached is one of these NEF RAW images, a screenshot of what I see in Affinity Photo when I load one of these images (mostly random noise), and a screenshot showing what MacOS Preview displays for the same file (a bit faint, but fine).

I have not altered the files in any way; I've only download them from the camera. Since my other applications can open/display the file, It seems to me this is a problem with how Affinity is handling the files, as if at a certain point in the file it is interpreting the data incorrectly.

I think this set of files might generate a decent image of the comet, if I can load them properly in Affinity Photo. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Affinity_Photo_RAW_load_error.png

RAW_NEF_file_display_in_Preview.png

20200724-Nikon-RKL_0353.nef

It appears to be the Serif Labs RAW engine, change to Apple (Core Image RAW) engine in Develop Persona, it will load the image correctly.

image.png.6b4f39e39654a4d83f1f4feb8ade5835.png

image.png.06ebc716cff22784dd1bb2d6a82023a4.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Probably needs more investigation as Windows does not have the Apple (Core Image RAW) engine in Develop Persona, so the image is always "distorted"

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thank you all, the images load correctly once I switched to the Apple RAW. Unfortunately the stacking is not working with this image set- maybe the noise is too high, but the movement of the stars over the time period of the shooting is not removed by automatic alignment when stacking in Affinity. I might try manual, but first I'm going to try some other software.

• 1 year later...

Could you provide an upload link? I have many raw file with this issue. I could send you a few raw file for inspection. 

When I open it with other raw viewers like the windows native viewers  or with rawtherapee, I don't have this problem. 

26 minutes ago, CFise said:

When I open it with other raw viewers

However, due to the speed, RAW viewers usually display only preview/thumbnail, that is stored in the RAW file by the camera, not the completely developped image data.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

On 11/15/2021 at 8:00 AM, Pšenda said:

However, due to the speed, RAW viewers usually display only preview/thumbnail, that is stored in the RAW file by the camera, not the completely developped image data.

But raw therapee is a software for processing photographs like affinity and I send photographs files to my brother who have lightroom on is MAC and the raw file don't have noise. 

• 3 months later...
On 7/27/2020 at 5:45 PM, MEB said:

Hi Delphinus,
Welcome to affinity Forums :)
I've moved this thread to the Photo Bugs found on macOS section and logged the issue to be looked at. Thanks for reporting it.

The same problem I observe on Windows :-(.