You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iMac late 2015,  I5 Intel 3.3Ghz,  24 GB DDR3 Ram,  AMD Radeon R9 M395 2GB

When working on afphoto file with (no more than 20, less than 90 mb) layers active, the computer will crash.  I cannot connect the problem to any single activity; but it has occurred while trying to burn on an image layer, apply black or white onto a mask, and when creating a new adjustment layer.  I have to wait several minutes before rebooting the computer, or it will crash again.  

I saved my file in PSD format, and I am able to process it with no difficulty in Photoshop. Right now, Affinity is unusable.

I am running the latest version of the software.  

• Staff

Hi Lesdmd,

Please could you make the app crash and then provided the latest crash report? You can find out where to find them using the below link.

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

I can and I will; but I've made some additional and strange discoveries, which may have more to do with the computer than with the Affinity software.  Your thoughts would be appreciated.

1.  When the converted (to PSD) file from Affinity was opened in Photoshop today, it behaved very strangely.  The brush tool was applying changes,  which had nothing to do with its settings, to layers before it was to even applied.  The clone to was moving the layer rather than applying any cloning.

2.  I was using files from a "teaching course" to practice on.   I started from scratch, using one of the same files that was part of the composite I was doing in Affinity , and Photoshop crashed the computer as I was modifying it.  

3. When I say the computer crashed, I do not mean the software.  The screen goes black and the computer completely shuts down.  This next finding I find really strange. Perhaps you have an explanation.  In order to reboot the Mac I have to unplug and then replug it into its protective surge protector.  The surge protector is working all this time because everything else plugged into it remains powered.

4. Thinking that the files I initially used may have become corrupted, or the Affinity AFphoto file was corrupted while it was being assembled, I am currently working on a new project, again using resources downloaded from an on-line learning course.  I am working in Photoshop and having no problems.  I will switch over to Affinity shortly to see how it goes there.

I thank you for your intervention.  Please keep the file open for a few days.  I will follow any suggestions you have.

My success was short lived . . . and another mystery that perhaps you can sort out.

First a screen shot of the open console that shows an Affinity Photo report from 7/27/20.  When I open in finder the report is labelled 7/26/20. That makes more sense since the crash that occurred a few minutes ago (roughly 2:00 PM) happened when I was in Photoshop.  Affinity was Affinity Photo_2020-07-26-141316_iMac.crashopen.  

For what little it may be worth, the Mail Program and Safari were running in the background at the time of the crashes.  They were the only software I am aware was running.

Again, thanks for anything you might find.

I Need a Name 2020-07-27 at 1.58.24 PM.png