You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Aerial HDR Merge using DNG files gives false earth curvature.

Hello, and sorry if this has been posted before.

I got to capture a nice headland shot of a lighthouse.

I set up the camera to capture 5 images in a burst - in JPEG and DNG format.

When I use AF HDR merge function with the JPEG images - the image comes out correctly, with a relatively flat horizon

However, when I use the DNG images - and the HDR process starts; a pronounced curvature is given to the image.

Not what I am looking for.

The original DNG flies are exactly the same as the JPEG, with the same horizon aspects.

Any pointers please?

This on Affinity Photo 1.8.3, using iMac OS Catalina 10.15.6

I've attached screenshots of the image to show what I am on about - you can plainly see in the HDR DNG images the upper corners of the image have dropped against the text.

Screenshot_2020-07-26_at_22_43_49.png

Screenshot_2020-07-26_at_22_45_59.png

Screenshot_2020-07-26_at_22_46_27.png

Can I PM them to you?

I'd rather not post up the image publicly.

Also, I've just joined the ship for offshore work.   Comms are dire, so it'll be a few weeks before I can get back home to send the files.

On 7/30/2020 at 11:11 AM, MEB said:

No worries Rigger73. Feel free to do it whenever you can/possible. If the the upload link expires (it was originally set to expire at 5/08/2020, 11:00 am WEST) let me know and i will create another.

Hi MEB,

JPEG and DNG files added to the link you sent.  5 JPEG and 5 DNG.

Still offshore, but close enough to land that I managed to get a 4G signal (circa 17 miles).  That said I'm on the side of the ship that faces land - high up near the bridge.

If you need me to send any more files, then it will have to be at the end of my trip around the end of August.

2 hours ago, Rigger73 said:

Still offshore, but close enough to land that I managed to get a 4G signal (circa 17 miles).  That said I'm on the side of the ship that faces land - high up near the bridge.

If you need me to send any more files, then it will have to be at the end of my trip around the end of August.

Sounds like something from a bygone century, like the 20th. [smiley face emoticon]

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Can be.  That's just life on-board any ship that is outside normal land based mobile cell reception coverage.  Marine internet is hugely expensive, so the speeds are a lot lot lower.

That's one of the reasons we get a decent pay, hardship conditions, 12 hour shifts for 4 weeks continuous and more importantly - being away from family.

Being at sea does present some unique photography oppurtunities though.

• Staff

Hi Rigger73,
Thanks for the files. This is happening because the HDR Merge function in Affinity isn't applying lens correction to the DNG's when it processes the files, whereas it does if you open the DNG's in Develop Persona. I'm logging this to be looked at. If you finish the HDR Merge (clicking Apply in the context toolbar) then go to menu Filters > Distort > Lens Correction, it should detect and apply the lens correction to the processed HDR image, correcting the curvature.

2 hours ago, MEB said:

This is happening because the HDR Merge function in Affinity isn't applying lens correction to the DNG's when it processes the files, whereas it does if you open the DNG's in Develop Persona. I'm logging this to be looked at.

Prior to 1.8 (possibly prior to 1.8.3) only File > Open (and only in Photo) would apply all the Develop Assistant options when opening a RAW file. Any other mechanism using RAW files in Photo, including File > [New Batch Job | New Stack | New HDR Merge | New Focus Merge | New Panorama | Place] and any use of RAW files in the other applications did not use the Develop Assistant options.

Then (in 1.8.3, perhaps?) File > New Batch Job was enhanced to use the Develop Assistant options. But the other mechanisms that support RAW files still don't use them. This often ends up with darker images, but apparently could also include lack of lens correction, and probably everything else that can be enabled/disabled in the Develop Assistant.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 8/6/2020 at 9:43 AM, MEB said:

Hi Rigger73,
Thanks for the files. This is happening because the HDR Merge function in Affinity isn't applying lens correction to the DNG's when it processes the files, whereas it does if you open the DNG's in Develop Persona. I'm logging this to be looked at. If you finish the HDR Merge (clicking Apply in the context toolbar) then go to menu Filters > Distort > Lens Correction, it should detect and apply the lens correction to the processed HDR image, correcting the curvature.

Thank you for the quick reply MEB.  I'll try that when I get home to the desktop mac.  If i try to do this with my macbook air, the size if the files causes the system to crash, lag etc.