Stokestack

There's no apparent way to control gradient fill direction.

Getting rid of the tabs in the Fill dialog and having the on-canvas gradient control appear when you select a gradient fill for an object would pretty much clear it up.

gradient suggestion.png

I agree with most of the complaints here. I found the gradient in the toolbar easily, and spent over half and hour trying to figure out how to adjust the angle and position and gave up thinking it couldn't be done. Finally Googled and found this thread to get the answer.

Well, the latest update fixed one thing: It got rid of the bizarre "None" tab that was full of swatches.

Otherwise (as your experience shows), Fill is still a mess.

It’s one of those things that once you know to use the correct tool, it’s fine. The icon is perhaps not the most obvious for a gradient tool but again once you get used to it it’s fine. I also spent ages looking for the angle when I first used Designer but I’ve got used to it now and reach for the grad tool rather than using the panel. That does feel odd though when you are used to the Adobe method.

Mmm, not really. This continuing problem reflects a strange lack of awareness of what constitutes a tool and what constitutes a UI to adjust an object's properties.

In applications like this (vector or object-based), the tool palette is typically reserved for the means to create or select objects or nodes thereof, or change your view. It is not normally populated with "tools" that tweak intrinsic properties of an object.

And, if an application wants to defy that convention, it should do so completely. But Designer doesn't; there are redundant and ineffective controls all over the place. There are property panels (of the sort you'd expect), and then these auxiliary functions dwelling in the tool palette for no particular reason. If the user clicks on the Fill color well in the toolbar, why not just present the on-screen Fill control right away? Why does he also have to guess that there's another thing to click on (in a totally different part of the UI) order to bring up the rest of the Fill controls?

I do get where you are coming from, and I understand it's frustrating to get used to. But for me, it wins over convention as it's a much quicker and accurate way to define gradients. I hate that thing where you are working in a little dialogue window to define something that is happening across your entire page. It also makes it much easier to match an existing gradient that may be on a photo or raster image. I do agree that there seems to be a bit of a mix of ideas going on in the UI though. 

No one is saying that the on-canvas controls aren't a good way to define gradients.

The problem is that those controls don't appear when you select a gradient fill! If nothing else, simply displaying them automatically would alleviate most of this problem.

Imagine a Print dialog that only let you select which printer to use, which pages to print, and how many copies... but didn't let you actually print. For that, you'd have to look elsewhere in the application for a "printer" tool, which contained some arbitrary subset of controls and the actual Print button.

20 hours ago, Stokestack said:

those controls don't appear when you select a gradient fill! If nothing else, simply displaying them automatically would alleviate most of this problem.

Absolutely agree that as soon as you select Gradient from the context toolbar the gradient handles should appear on canvas.

If you deselect the object and reselect it the handles are there, so it feels like a bug that they don't appear at initial creation.

Win7 Ultimate x64   |   i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   120 GB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 660 Ti   |   Huion 1060 Plus

How I make GIFs >>> ScreenToGIF (Windows only, Open Source, Portable, ~600kB)