You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo and Lightroom 6

Hello community,

since the last update of Photo an issue occurs that I cant understand. My system is Windows 10, the latest version of Affinity Photo and the last buying version of Adobe Lightroom 6. Now I perform on my RAWs some tasks in LR like cropping, lens correction, denoise and other. Then in the context menu I open the picture for further actions in AP as a 16bit Tiff with the Lightroom changes. After the work is done in AP I reduce the Document and save the Tiff. 

In Lightroom I find the Tiff now with the LR changes I made before, see above. I have to reset the picture to no changes. It´s not a big issue but I want to report it because AP is now my standard software for processing my Photos.

Greetings

Hornisse

@Hornisse,

I'm not following you on what you mean by finding the Tiff now with the LR changes made before. If you told LR to save it's changes when you export to AP, then once you're finished in AP and you save it, that Tiff should have those LR changes.

I also have the last perpetual version of LR, 6.14, and have just done what I also do many times, using AP in lieu of PS for further editing, and it does as expected, save the LR edits, creates a Tiff, opens AP. Then once I'm finished in AP, I save it. In LR I have both the original RAW and the Tiff stacked. The Tiff reflects what I've done in AP, and it would have the LR edits, however those are burned into the Tiff so can not be accessed in LR Develop Module. In other words, if you take the Tiff into the Develop module you will not see the edits you made prior to exporting. Those are preserved in the original RAW. 

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Thank you Ron,

I donˋt agree with that. If you use the same setting it´s better for me to explain it. First I make some changes in LR, a xmp-File will be written in the same directory, than I open the File (RAW converted to TIFF with the LR changes) in AP. Then I do my work there an save the TIFF. LR applies then the changes I made before to the TIFF, shown on the LR sliders like exposure, dynamic, sharpening an so on. The crop now comes again an makes the picture smaller.

If I open the RAW—>TIFF with any other software like the google filters or PS CS6 nothing is applied again in LR.

I am surprised that no new xmp is written to the TIF so I assume that LR uses the first xmp-File to apply the changes to the TIFF but why.

Now I confused. Are there an option in LR that I missed? Is there a difference between AP and other software during the saving process?

Greetings

Hornisse

AP does not have the capability to write to XMP.  Next when using RAW files in LR, and you want to export to another external editor, you only have the choice of Applying LR Edits to the Tiff or whatever format you want LR to create. See screenshot. If you do not want to have any LR edits applied you need to go directly to exporting it, without applying any edits. What you would need to do is make sure LR is not applying any filters when you import your RAW images into the LR catalog.

I just tried to export with a clean RAW file, and LR still only provides the option shown in the screenshot.

Any digital RAW file must be "processed" to be visible on a computer. So LR is applying what your camera tells it in the RAW file to apply. Also I've not used LR's option to have XMP files created of all my RAW files, I just rely on the RAW file and LR catalog, then export having LR apply adjustments.

Yes there is a difference in Saving using AP. If you choose to just Save, and you're editing a common file format such as Tiff, Jpeg, PNG, AP will Save the changes made in AP, and unless you specify for it to not overwrite, it will overwrite your existing(original) file. If you choose Save as, you only are allowed to Save it in the proprietary afphoto file format, the working file for AP.

LR-edit.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Hello Ron,

first you are right, AP cannot save xmp-Files. LR does the Bayer interpolation with the camera parameters or the Adobe color space. Only if you perform some changes a xmp will be written or the adjustments are saved in the database. I decided years ago to let LR write xmp.

Here you find some screenshots. SCS_1 shows the RAW in LR with some adjustments and a crop, see the marker. SCS_2 is the export to AP in the way you described with LR adjustments applied. Pay attention to SCS_3. That is the situation after my changes in AP and saving back to LR, close the AP window and choose yes in the savings dialogue. You see in the marker at the right side the same slider values as made on the RAW and the crop is done again. SCS_4 is an example after processing the TIFF in PS CS6.

Normally LR writes a second xmp if a TIFF or jpg is changed in LR. But the issue occured after an AP update, I dont know wich version, sorry. I dont know how AP process the image during saving. And LR has no update since a long period.

Confusion in my mind.

Thanks for your support

Hornisse

SCS_1.jpg

SCS_2.jpg

SCS_3.jpg

SCS_4.jpg

Update

I discovered my pictures to see when the bug occurred. Last time I processed TIFFs in AP was in february. Everything was fine. So an update between this time and now must be responsible. In addition I found now that AP rotate an image 90deg ccw I cropped from landscape to portrait in LR during opening.

Choosing the file -> save dialogue after making some adjustments or do nothing in AP the image will saved rotated to LR with the LR adjustments assigned I made before on the RAW file.

Greetings

Hornisse