You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

22 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

... and Serif has always stated that Affinity applications will gradually add all the important functionality.

important functionality can mean entirely different things to different people, so the words give no real clue

Edited by anon2

59 minutes ago, IanSG said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "cosmetic" - any change to the way the software behaves is functional.  Even if the intended change is limited to a single bug fix there's still the possibility of introducing new bugs.  What individual beta testers get out of it is up to them - I'm a hobbyist, so my reasons for beta testing will be very different from a commercial user whose livelihood might be impacted.

How did you reach that conclusion?

What I meant was that it didn't really add anything really new to AD. AD is not that much different as a result.

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

40 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I think what Jack really means is that AD is currently lacking some of the features that DrawPlus had acquired by the time it reached version X8 (not version 8 without the ‘X’, which was released nearly a decade earlier!) but we have to bear in mind that DP is Windows-only and developed incrementally whereas AD is cross-platform and written from scratch.

Yes I know that. As a user it make no difference to me regarding what OS or platform is used, its what it does that matteres. I even added a 'Windows' partition on my Mac so I could use DP8 but it was so cumbersome swapping OSs that I have stuck, reluctantly with AD.

For a while I did save AD files  as pdfs and then reopen them in DP to use its extra features - mainly adding dimensions. But even that become a nuisance so now I complete the drawing in AD, print it and hand-write the dimensions in pencil! I do this to send to my CAD designer after scanning it to an email.

I've been waiting years for AD to include dimensioning as a feature.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

How do Serif decide what is important?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

16 minutes ago, anon2 said:

important functionality can mean entirely different things to different people, so the words give no real clue

I agree.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

7 minutes ago, jackamus said:

now I complete the drawing in AD, print it and hand-write the dimensions in pencil!

If you’re no longer depending on DP to add the dimensions automatically, why not ‘write’ them using the text tools within AD? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

29 minutes ago, anon2 said:

Of course, it is always up to Serif (generally producers and developers of anything) that he sees important (in terms of priorities, capabilities and development capacities), and whether he takes into account the wishes of users (often conflicting). If you do not agree with this model, then you must develop your own application or use another one - which exactly suits your needs.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

4 hours ago, jackamus said:

So the bottom line is that the old DrawPlus8 is still a better graphics program than AD even with its frequent crashes.

36 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

... and Serif has always stated that Affinity applications will gradually add all the important functionality.

important - means adding the features in an order that will provide the best revenue stream to ensure the company's future long term existence

gradually add - means making a decision to add a feature as a free update to version one or as a paid upgrade to version 2, 3, 4 etc.

DrawPlus provided an important revenue stream to Serif for over 10 years (via sales and upgrades) supporting both the company as a whole and those that worked for it.

Don't expect to see everything that DrawPlus had in Designer anytime soon. It will be a gradual process and one that we will all (willingly) pay for should we wish to utilize the new functions that will come with each new upgrade.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

23 minutes ago, Alfred said:

If you’re no longer depending on DP to add the dimensions automatically, why not ‘write’ them using the text tools within AD? :/

In between using DP and then writing them by hand I created an 'Asset' that was a double headed arrow dimension line which I could set to various lengths with the Transform tab. Changing its length by dragging the Asset's handles was not practical as I had to enlarge it enough to see the handles. I added the dimensions using the Artistic text tool. Vary laborious.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

24 minutes ago, carl123 said:

important - means adding the features in an order that will provide the best revenue stream to ensure the company's future long term existence

gradually add - means making a decision to add a feature as a free update to version one or as a paid upgrade to version 2, 3, 4 etc.

DrawPlus provided an important revenue stream to Serif for over 10 years (via sales and upgrades) supporting both the company as a whole and those that worked for it.

Don't expect to see everything that DrawPlus had in Designer anytime soon. It will be a gradual process and one that we will all (willingly) pay for should we wish to utilize the new functions that will come with each new upgrade.

That's an interesting comment. How do the developers work out will produce the best revenue?

Why not up the price of AD so that there will be enough revenue to create the best features? I would happily pay more for a serious upgrade. I could go for a competitors program but I'm not willing to retrain myself, at my age, to some thing new.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

1 minute ago, jackamus said:

How do the developers work out will produce the best revenue?

It's not the Devs, it's down to the business acumen of the people behind the business

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Mmmm - OK so how do they decide what is best?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

1 minute ago, jackamus said:

Mmmm - OK so how do they decide what is best?

Most have the natural ability to understand and adapt to a particular market or if not, most can start with business school and progress from there.

Experience is also key, what worked and what did not work previously.

18 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Most have the natural ability to understand and adapt to a particular market or if not, most can start with business school and progress from there.

Experience is also key, what worked and what did not work previously.

It sounds all very vague and 'company man' type jargon.

When you say, "what worked and what did not work previously." If it wasn't there to start with then it is meaningless.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

1 hour ago, Pšenda said:

Of course, it is always up to Serif (generally producers and developers of anything) that he sees important (in terms of priorities, capabilities and development capacities), and whether he takes into account the wishes of users (often conflicting). If you do not agree with this model, then you must develop your own application or use another one - which exactly suits your needs.

I merely pointed out that the phrase important functionality tells us nothing even remotely specific about which functionalities are coming to the apps.

Another day on the Internet... 🗑️

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

It would be more meaningful - and worth the cost of traveling - to have a beer with the Serif staff in a pub in Nottingham - debating all of these topics and more funny ones too instead of these endless generic debates with proxies and random customers. The hours lost on the Internet... much bigger expense.

The Internet is great for downloading software and purchasing exotic things from abroad. Otherwise... 🗑️

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

1 hour ago, anon2 said:

I merely pointed out that the phrase important functionality tells us nothing even remotely specific about which functionalities are coming to the apps.

However, this "phrase" did not aim to provide any specific information about the time schedule and scope of the functions added. It only followed on information from Alfred, that Serif started developing Affinity applications from scratch. Which was information about how Affinity applications were developed after a sigh of jackamus, that Plus applications were much better.
Nothing more, nothing less.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

2 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

However, this "phrase" did not aim to provide any specific information about the time schedule and scope of the functions added. It only followed on information from Alfred, that Serif started developing Affinity applications from scratch. Which was information about how Affinity applications were developed after a sigh of jackamus, that Plus applications were much better.
Nothing more, nothing less.

Nothing, period.