You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher Crashes after print command

I am Using Publisher 1.8.3, purchased from Mac App store on the recommendation of Affinity. I am using an a 27" iMac with 10.8.5 system. 20gb memory with 1Tb hard drive.

I installed the program  one week ago and so so this is the only continuing problem. Almost every time I send a page to print either cmd p or by Print from the dialogue window the file crashes. I have been through a process of simplifying the item to print, ie, removing and jpeg, tiff, png files and just printing one word. It happens with any typeface.

I realise it may be the old system on my Mac however sometimes it prints without crashing even though a previous attempt with the same page has crashed. So far it crashes more times than not.

I would welcome and suggestions apart from upgrading my system as I need OS 10.8.3 for other programs I use for design work.

Just to check again I tried a two word file and this is the comment after the crash.

dialogue box.png

Welcome to the forums. A Serif staff member may be able to help you some more, but just one obseravation about your OS.

On 7/26/2020 at 12:49 AM, boorowaboy said:

I am using an a 27" iMac with 10.8.5 system. […] I realise it may be the old system on my Mac

That may be it. Publisher officially supports 10.9 and later, but you can't be faulted for running it on an older system, because the Mac App Store lists compatibility as "OS X 10.7 or later." I point that out in case Serif needs to update the MAS system requirements, unless they really did mean it is compatible all the way back to Lion.

I hope Gareth doesn't mind me showing his reply to my request for info about running Publisher on my Mac.
As I mentioned Publisher works its just the crash on printing which will cause me problems. I also have Designer and that doesn't crash on the print command. A work round would be to save every item to be printed as a pdf and print from that. Obviously that is far to tedious.
My initial question to Affinity was; Do you have any old versions "lying around in a cupboard", I would be happy to buy one knowing that it worked and at some stage in the not to distant future I will either up date to the latest Mac OS or Pop my clogs and until then I could use a program which didn't belong to the Adobe cartel.

A reply from Affinity
Thanks for your email.
As long as you use the Mac App Store to purchase Affinity you will find the Affinity apps do work on 10.8.5. The ones we sell direct from our site will only work with 10.9 or higher, this is due to Apple and having to meet certain requirements that are not available to programs on 10.8.5 for apps brought from outside the store.  But the ones direct from the Mac App Store will work fine and they will also be the latest versions of Affinity.
I've attached a screenshot of the Designer page from the Mac App Store just to confirm the supported version of MacOS, which starts at 10.7.  It's the same for Publisher as well.  So as long as you purchase them from the Mac App Store, they will run fine on your Mac and there's no need to setup a 2nd drive or anything, which can be a pain, it's something i had to do and took me a bit longer than expected :)

Many thanks,
Gareth @ Affinity Support

Hi Gabe

It crashes on both as I tried that test. It usually crashes immediately after you make a selection about your printing options, one page, all pages etc. press P at that point and it immediately crashes.

Printing a pdf, no problem or exporting to any of the format options.

I have a wifi Epson Workforce WF3520.  I could hook it up on line but that won't solve this problem.

Hi Affinity

I have had a couple of responses to my question about Publisher crashing on the Command P or Print in the dialogue box. As there hasn't actually been any resolution to this or many of the other Affinity bugs does this mean that I have bought a test version or Beta version and that one day it will work. I am happy to wait but perhaps there should be more information from Affinity as to when the program will work in a reliable fashion.

In the meantime what do I do. I can design a publication but can't proof it for a client in the studio. Its not much use.

Slightly disappointed new user.

• Staff

Crashes when printing seem to be very specific, and we can almost never replicate it. Do you happen to have another printer in that list (just to rule out your Epson Printer)?

Can you attach a crash report?

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/3/2020 at 4:22 PM, Gabe said:

I don't know when we gonna have an update of this issue,

Another crash when printing:

Affinity Publisher_2020-08-28-155751_Kuk.crash.zip

The Print dialog appeared, I selected the pages to print, crash on clicking the Print button.
Interestingly, it actually printed those two pages that I wanted to print.

APu 1.8.4 (Serif Store), El Capitan, Oki c5450 laser printer connected via Ethernet.
The *.afpub is an *.idml import with those two pages to print added in APu.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

On 7/31/2020 at 9:21 AM, Gabe said:

Crashes when printing seem to be very specific, and we can almost never replicate it.

Yeah, I can't replicate it either after it initially happened two times in a row.
Could have been bad font assignment or something, since that original *.indd has had some fonts that I no longer use.

Speaking of which, APu actually crashed a few times while I tried to replace the missing fonts using the built-in Font Manager window. Eventually I gave up on it and replaced the fonts manually. But that's a different topic.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

On 8/28/2020 at 5:12 PM, loukash said:

APu actually crashed a few times while I tried to replace the missing fonts using the built-in Font Manager window.

If the issue is font related another option could be worth trying: Reset APub's font data base via app Prefs > Misc > Reset Fonts.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...