You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

LUTs and ACVs and all that jazz

I am Dick Sullivan of Bostick & Sullivan. We like to consider ourselves the center of the alt-photo universe. 

I am in love with the Affinity threesome. 

Some of you may know us as the "platinum people" known for the platinum print, one made of platinum metal. We have been in business since 1980. But rather than get involved in other processes, I would like to focus on platinum. Note that this is a print making process. Note that you need a negative the same sizes as the print. That where affinity comes in. In the beginning we would make an positive from the negative and make an enlarged negative from the positive. UGH! Then came the digital revolution, then came Photoshop. Hooray! Then came Affinity, hooray, hooray!!!

But...

I'd love to convert our customer base of many many thousands over to Affinity.

But...

It's the negative. All the factors going into a print can affect the image. The inkset of the printer for one. Old Epson's vs New Epson's. The paper that the print goes on. Which chemicals are used such as ferric oxalate or ammonium ferric oxalate or ammonium tetrachloriplatinite vs Potassium chloriplatinite, and as some will swear , whether Jupiter is in the House of Mars. Generating a curve is nasty business. People share them. Some are generic and give a generic result, others are very detailed and specific. All are saved and shared as Photoshop .ACV curves. 

I posted this problem more briefly back when, I did not explain and I am sure folks at Affinity had no idea what I am talking about, it really harks back to real photography 100+ year-old.

The question: Are we going to out in the cold or is there a chance there will be a way to convert an ACV curve to something that Affinity Photo can use. I see the LUT that looks like an intermediary. I believe Gimp reads ACVs  so maybe they could do something. But Affinity threesome is so much better. No saving this and that and open here an there and processing your negative in Gimp and printing in Affinity Photo.

It seems simple.

Read the ACV file and apple the coordinates. Since we are only working in B+W , all ther RGB channels would do, and convert to a LUT. 

I was at one time an IBM Systems Programmer, so if I am on the right track let me know. 

--Dick Sullivan HonFRPS
www.bostick-sullivan.com
https://www.photo-historica.com/digitalnegatives

Our other Site!

Dick, I would strongly advise you to change your user name to anything other than your email address. Using your email address can attract spammers. 

Sorry I cannot constructively advise on your basic problem.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Dick, see if you can find an app which converts ACVs to ICC profiles.  While use of terminology differs, a LUT usually only applies to display devices like monitors.  To affect color conversion in a workflow headed to a printer, an ICC profile is the general thing you want.  And ICC profiles can be applied to display devices, too, but you clearly want a different ICC profile for a monitor than a printer loaded with custom inks.