You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am trying to place text inside of a rectangular callout. I cannot get it to work: both the artistic text tool and the frame text tool simply replace the callout shape. I can't find any online tutorials that cover this basic task. All I want to do is to have some text inside a callout that points to what the text describes.

Currently it is possible only in Af Publisher, where you also have an additional Text Frame Panel which enables you to set text frame properties, e.g. fill and stroke.

In Af Designer the shape object loses applied fill and stroke when it gets converted to a text frame and gives you access to font properties only, regardless of the way of conversion. That means in Designer you need to use a separate text object as a workaround, placed above the callout shape. In APub you can type directly in the callout shape and set font and frame properties independently.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

What do you mean by a “callout”...

See for example https://www.definitions.net/definition/callout. Here, it likely means the 'annotation' definition.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I asked the question because I wanted to know what the OP meant by those words.
If the words have been translated into English from another language – or the OP just used words they thought were correct – then we might not be getting a correct understanding of what the OP wants to do.
In this instance, with so little information, I would like to know what the OP really wants rather than guessing what I think they might mean.

2020-07-26_12-31-51_(2).gif.a27af74580ca25382e0f66a2ca5a2cbb.gifTry this...

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

8 hours ago, GarryP said:

@dkj : What do you mean by a “callout” and what do you mean by “inside”?
Can you give us a visual example of what you want to do?

In the Shape Tools section on the left-hand side of the screen, there's a Callout Rounded Rectangle tool and a Callout Ellipse tool. Those are what I was referring to.

Just now, dkj said:

Thanks, but I'm working in Designer, not Publisher. 

Same method.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions