Jump to content
Artsketch

Sorry, but what’s about the blob issue?

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Luovatone said:

Hi, here is another video clip about the Affinity's Brush engine Pressure Blob problem. (very slow video, sorry)
There is also Clip Studio Paint demo with very same pressure dynamic profile.

@AffinityMakesMeSmile - Please try to use more pressure dynamics with brushes and more global brush size.
Because with some settings this problem is not so obvious, but it is still there hiding.

I have tested this with latest Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo 1.8.3 with iPad Air 3, iPad mini 5, iPad Pro 12.9" (1st gen), iPad 2018 (6th gen) and all behave same.

Thanks, and hopely this get fixed.... ..... soon.

I make a new try tomorrow with this, and, perhaps some changes to the brush settings dynamics...

By the way, nice artwork by you mr. @Luovatone on your homepage! Talented guy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

@Luovatone @Paul Mudditt @DM1 @Artsketch - What do think about the above video?

Should be intresting to know what’s the differences between my setup and all you having this ”blob” issue when painting with pixel brushes into Affinity Photo/Designer on iPad?

Any suggestions?

On my second video I got a minor error caused by me not cleanly touching the screen, I bounced a bit

This is why I previously asked about screen protectors, which I have never used in 10 years with iPads as they are horrible in my personal opinion and unnecessary if you use a decent case with front and rear protection.

Still might be interesting to see how many who use them have this problem, as I can image how they would make the tip perform a micro bounce.

As a software developer in a previous life, there is so much flexibility in configuration, perhaps more than other packages, that to use a software term, “there is enough rope to hang yourself”.

The fact that there is no way to reset a brush back to it’s original configuration, discounting reloading from file, along with 2 different methods of brush editing, temporarily from the context bar which can be reset, and semi-permanently from the brushes menu is a problem waiting to happen to me.


Affinity Photo 1.8, Designer 1.8, Publisher 1.8 on MACOS Big Sur beta.
Affinity Photo 1.8, Designer 1.8, Publisher 1.8 on Windows 10 Pro.
Affinity Photo 1.8, Designer 1.8 on iPad Pro 9.7" iPadOS 14.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/affinityforipad/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I posted earlier an example of blobs using ink brush. Tried it again just now, same brush, same system, same pencil...... no blob!   This is understandably frustrating for users.


IPad Pro 10.5/512GB   lpadOS 14.0 1 Apple Pencil (1st gen), Affinity Photo 1.8.4.186,  Affinity Photo beta1.9.0.199 Affinity Design 1.8.4.4, Publisher for iPad (21st century)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DM1 said:

I posted earlier an example of blobs using ink brush. Tried it again just now, same brush, same system, same pencil...... no blob!   This is understandably frustrating for users.

@DM1 @Artsketch @Paul Mudditt @Luovatone - I have some thoughts that the battery status of the Apple Pencil may be one part of the problem!

I’ve got some blobs last night, just befire my Pencils battery died, but, when I tested this 30 minutes later (without closing Affinity Photo), the blobs were gone again ;-)

Perhaps someone else here can verify this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

I’ve got some blobs last night, just befire my Pencils battery died, but, when I tested this 30 minutes later (without closing Affinity Photo), the blobs were gone again ;-)

Unfortunately, I already tried a new Apple Pencil 2 and iPad Pro 12.9“, no difference. Anybody else without blobs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, all and please hope that this solves now.

Please try that:

  1. take Inks Category brush (Comics Ink Pen or Brush Pen) and remember Reset brush to its default settings.
  2. set Brush Width to 240 px.... or even more. (IMPORTANT! to show clearly that problem)
  3. place pen tip lightly to the screen and try to draw slowly nice clean dynamic lines.

I am quite sure that most of you see a bigger blop mark at the start of your lines.

That happen when your pencil tip first time touches or registering the screen.
Other IOS programs (Procreate, ClipStudioPaint, SketchBook, ArtRage eg.)
do not spit pen pressure at the start of the line or so when pen tip is the first time placed and registered on the screen.

Tested this with latest Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo 1.8.3 with iPad Air 3, iPad mini 5, iPad Pro 12.9" (1st gen), iPad 2018 (6th gen) and all behave same.

BTW. This problem is same as desktop versions in the past, but they got it fixed while ago.

Thanks all!

Sorry_But_Whats_About_The_Blob_Issue_3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Luovatone said:

Hi, all and please hope that this solves now.

Please try that:

  1. take Inks Category brush (Comics Ink Pen or Brush Pen) and remember Reset brush to its default settings.
  2. set Brush Width to 240 px.... or even more. (IMPORTANT! to show clearly that problem)
  3. place pen tip lightly to the screen and try to draw slowly nice clean dynamic lines.

I am quite sure that most of you see a bigger blop mark at the start of your lines.

That happen when your pencil tip first time touches or registering the screen.
Other IOS programs (Procreate, ClipStudioPaint, SketchBook, ArtRage eg.)
do not spit pen pressure at the start of the line or so when pen tip is the first time placed and registered on the screen.

Tested this with latest Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo 1.8.3 with iPad Air 3, iPad mini 5, iPad Pro 12.9" (1st gen), iPad 2018 (6th gen) and all behave same.

BTW. This problem is same as desktop versions in the past, but they got it fixed while ago.

Thanks all!

Sorry_But_Whats_About_The_Blob_Issue_3.jpg

Nope, no blobs. IPad Pro 9.7”, Apple Pencil 1


Affinity Photo 1.8, Designer 1.8, Publisher 1.8 on MACOS Big Sur beta.
Affinity Photo 1.8, Designer 1.8, Publisher 1.8 on Windows 10 Pro.
Affinity Photo 1.8, Designer 1.8 on iPad Pro 9.7" iPadOS 14.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/affinityforipad/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Paul Mudditt said:

Nope, no blobs. IPad Pro 9.7”, Apple Pencil 1

Again too much pressure or defective pencil. How is your global pressure curve under preferences set?

ECB102B6-F861-4F8C-B943-C93B78BF100A.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Artsketch said:

Again too much pressure or defective pencil. How is your global pressure curve under preferences set?

ECB102B6-F861-4F8C-B943-C93B78BF100A.png

Mine
 

DC03D75E-20EC-4A05-B7D6-BE0B65FDEF60.png


Affinity Photo 1.8, Designer 1.8, Publisher 1.8 on MACOS Big Sur beta.
Affinity Photo 1.8, Designer 1.8, Publisher 1.8 on Windows 10 Pro.
Affinity Photo 1.8, Designer 1.8 on iPad Pro 9.7" iPadOS 14.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/affinityforipad/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would you try to paint such a thin line with a fat brush, is it to avoid changing settings but I can’t see how with that setting you would get such a thin line apart from barely touching the screen, as if you had something in between, like a screen protector which is ruining the pencil performance perhaps?


Affinity Photo 1.8, Designer 1.8, Publisher 1.8 on MACOS Big Sur beta.
Affinity Photo 1.8, Designer 1.8, Publisher 1.8 on Windows 10 Pro.
Affinity Photo 1.8, Designer 1.8 on iPad Pro 9.7" iPadOS 14.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/affinityforipad/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Paul Mudditt said:

Why would you try to paint such a thin line with a fat brush, is it to avoid changing settings but I can’t see how with that setting you would get such a thin line apart from barely touching the screen, as if you had something in between, like a screen protector which is ruining the pencil performance perhaps?

It looks like your pencil hasn’t much pressure sensitivity anymore. The blob appears with all brushes, smaller sizes too. If more pressure was applied they aren’t visible. Such variations are something you can easily do with real ink and a good red sable brush. I’m never using any screen protector. In the past I had a new Apple Pencil 2 with too low pressure sensitivity that was replaced by Apple CS.

5B58FCD0-4775-400D-8B15-C068F91D0D61.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Artsketch said:

It looks like your pencil hasn’t much pressure sensitivity anymore. The blob appears with all brushes, smaller sizes too. If more pressure was applied they aren’t visible. Such variations are something you can easily do with real ink and a good red sable brush. I’m never using any screen protector. In the past I had an Apple Pencil 2 with too low pressure sensitivity that was replaced by Apple CS.

5B58FCD0-4775-400D-8B15-C068F91D0D61.png

Hmmm perhaps you’re right although in all these years I never considered I didn’t have enough pressure control.

EDIT: My son recently bought a new 10.2” iPad that still uses Pencil 1,  just tried it on my iPad, works exactly the same so don’t think that’s an issue. Think we need to collate whether you’re using Pencil 1 or 2.

By the way I did a re-install of the beta as I stated before there is sufficient rope to hang ourselves in configuration and with no real way to reset brushes to their real default other than deleting and reloading the brushes or reinstalling. Here is the real default pressure profile of that brush, how does your default look?

 

8CE007A3-4E82-4614-ACCF-56BDF95933A8.png


Affinity Photo 1.8, Designer 1.8, Publisher 1.8 on MACOS Big Sur beta.
Affinity Photo 1.8, Designer 1.8, Publisher 1.8 on Windows 10 Pro.
Affinity Photo 1.8, Designer 1.8 on iPad Pro 9.7" iPadOS 14.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/affinityforipad/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I can remember the defective pencil had a bigger gab between the nib. Maybe that was the normal variation. Another pencil that I replaced had the nib off centered without any effect in sensitivity. I even deleted my iPad twice and clean installs of iPad OS 13.5 and iPad OS 14 beta and Affinity Designer, Photo, Photo Beta. The same. BTW: I was using the “Comics Ink Pen” not the “Comics G Pen”

1C6BC151-3431-4137-A13D-682DFD0C7391.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In this topic, the guys on Serif Labs must be the right people to tell: Is there a ”bug” or something in the common code for Affinity Designer/Photo concering pixelbrushing with Apple Pencil (both gen 1 & 2)?

Me I @Paul Mudditt don’t have such a problem as many other users here, so, perhaps can Serif Labs make a statement here to clear things up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tested this only on iPad Pro 12.9” 2018/2020 with Apple Pencils 2 but @Luovatone had tested this with the “latest Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo 1.8.3 with iPad Air 3, iPad mini 5, iPad Pro 12.9" (1st gen), iPad 2018 (6th gen) and all behave same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Artsketch said:

As I can remember the defective pencil had a bigger gab between the nib. Maybe that was the normal variation. Another pencil that I replaced had the nib off centered without any effect in sensitivity. I even deleted my iPad twice and clean installs of iPad OS 13.5 and iPad OS 14 beta and Affinity Designer, Photo, Photo Beta. The same. BTW: I was using the “Comics Ink Pen” not the “Comics G Pen”

1C6BC151-3431-4137-A13D-682DFD0C7391.png

Yes my photo is the default state of the Comics Ink Pen after re-installing the 1.8.4 beta app, double checked against 1.8.3, my preview is long and skinny, your preview is short and fat. EDIT: Default width is 36 so my preview obviously is long and skinny.


Affinity Photo 1.8, Designer 1.8, Publisher 1.8 on MACOS Big Sur beta.
Affinity Photo 1.8, Designer 1.8, Publisher 1.8 on Windows 10 Pro.
Affinity Photo 1.8, Designer 1.8 on iPad Pro 9.7" iPadOS 14.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/affinityforipad/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, this seems to be very problematic case.

So I tried to my best to tell and demonstrate what I mean with this Pressure Blob problem.

I really hope that this get better and fixed.

I have drawn a lot with iPads and really liked Affinity Designer feel (wet edges custom is awesome and you can get very traditional pencil drawings).
Problem is that I have used only Pen Tilt to vary Brush size and it was worked quite well, so no problems.

But I have get a bit frustrated when I have tried to do paintings with Affinity Designer, because then I tend to vary brush size and opacity with pressure.
and I detail something there is a annoying big blob when pencil tip touches the screen.

Also inking is very hard and it is almost impossible to me produce clean high brush size dynamic lines with Affinity Photo or Designer IOS.
You must work a quite hard with Affinity Photo or Designer to hide that problematic Pressure Spit Blob problem, it is not always even possible.

One problem is that brushes settings Pressure Curve do not work as expected, 
you must also use Global pressure curve to hide that initial touch pressure blob.

It is not ideal solution and it is not still work if you use big varied brush size.

I suggest to @Paul Mudditt @AffinityMakesMeSmile try do dynamic ink lines as shown on video.
I used to Procreate which uses same kind of pressure curves and brush without any tricks.

IMPORTANT! There is no any problem with MacOS or Windows Affinity products even with over 1000px brushes with Wacom pens,
so you can draw thin 1px lines with 1000px size brush without any problematic inital Pressure blobs.

Of course Apple Pencil and IOS pen tech is different and way more problematic to handle.

Thanks to all!

Procreate_Dynamic_Ink_demo.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Artsketch said:

Is anybody still believing Serif fixing this bug ever?

I'm hopeful that at some point these issues will all be fixed. An eternal optimist 😉


IPad Pro 10.5/512GB   lpadOS 14.0 1 Apple Pencil (1st gen), Affinity Photo 1.8.4.186,  Affinity Photo beta1.9.0.199 Affinity Design 1.8.4.4, Publisher for iPad (21st century)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enough! This is not only an Affinity Photo issue but primarily  a Affinity Designer issue. When we bought Affinity Designer for iPad we thought buying an app that combines vector and pixel art. Many customers are disappointed. Since more than 2 years the pixel persona blob bug exists and the app is still sold in the App Store. Any confidence that this serious bug will ever be fixed is gone. We do not want to be fooled anymore. Fix the bug or remove the app from the App Store! Time for more publicity... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Artsketch said:

Fix the bug or remove the app from the App Store!

🙀 A little extreme methinks. 


IPad Pro 10.5/512GB   lpadOS 14.0 1 Apple Pencil (1st gen), Affinity Photo 1.8.4.186,  Affinity Photo beta1.9.0.199 Affinity Design 1.8.4.4, Publisher for iPad (21st century)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DM1 said:

🙀 A little extreme methinks. 

Maybe, but when the issue had got wider publicity over the internet it will be to late, they can choose continuing fooling customers, take the bug seriously or paying the deserved price. Although it is primarily an issue in Affinity Designer they moved the discussion to Affinity Photo bugs to hide it from Designer customers. Affinity Photo is mainly used for other purposes than drawing. For drawing It can easily be replaced by Adobe Fresco and Procreate, Affinity Designer not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2020 at 1:15 PM, Artsketch said:

Enough! This is not only an Affinity Photo issue but primarily  a Affinity Designer issue. When we bought Affinity Designer for iPad we thought buying an app that combines vector and pixel art. Many customers are disappointed. Since more than 2 years the pixel persona blob bug exists and the app is still sold in the App Store. Any confidence that this serious bug will ever be fixed is gone. We do not want to be fooled anymore. Fix the bug or remove the app from the App Store! Time for more publicity... 

For me Designer is far enough to use in most cases, and, your suggestion to remove it from Appstore because of some "little" bug is hard to understand...

Why not then suggest that Adobe should remove Photoshop for iPad also - they marketing this as "Photoshop now on iPad!"... It's not Photoshop, it's perhaps 20% of the full desktop Photoshop, not more...

So, things like that is more annoying that small small things missing in Affinity Photo/Designer for iPad...

Sooner or later everything will be OK, be patient or find some substitute meanwhile you waiting for this to be fixed (I havn't this problem in my work with Designer)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2020 at 12:36 PM, Artsketch said:

Although it is primarily an issue in Affinity Designer they moved the discussion to Affinity Photo bugs to hide it from Designer customers.

I moved this thread to Photo for iPad as this is the app used most frequently in the screen recordings provided for the thread - there's no intent of deceit here.
If you wish, I can happily move it to the Designer bug section of the forums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.