You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gradient Tool -- Eliptical fill

An ellipse where both axis are equal is nothing more than a circle -- "radial" is the correct term..

An actual ellipse will -- by definition -- have one axis longer than the other.

Rather than resembling a ball, it will more often resemble an egg.

The ellipse gradient in Affinity Photo isn't an ellipse. You cannot vary the axis to cause it to become an actual ellipse. When you lengthen or shorten either axis, you are accomplishing the same operation on the other axis.

I hope someone can fix this problem.

https://youtu.be/VL1SzmY_h7M

. . .  and while you're at it, it would be nice if each time I went back to use the tool, the previous "type" of fill would be selected rather than going back to linear every time.

Try switching off the last item in the context toolbar

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

5 hours ago, Smee Again said:

my  mistake...

no, it´s not.
It´s just one more of those far too many usability-issues the Affinity--Products have.

Checking the postings in these forums you will see that the number of complaints about missing features is declining
while more people are posting because the available tools are not behaving as expected. (#usability)

On 7/25/2020 at 6:04 AM, Smee Again said:

An ellipse where both axis are equal is nothing more than a circle -- "radial" is the correct term. An actual ellipse will -- by definition -- have one axis longer than the other. Rather than resembling a ball, it will more often resemble an egg. The ellipse gradient in Affinity Photo isn't an ellipse. You cannot vary the axis to cause it to become an actual ellipse. When you lengthen or shorten either axis, you are accomplishing the same operation on the other axis. I hope someone can fix this problem.. . .  and while you're at it, it would be nice if each time I went back to use the tool, the previous "type" of fill would be selected rather than going back to linear every time.

It drove me nuts in Designer. The first thing you get when choosing elliptical is the last thing you would want. And it is a setting that shouldn't be enabled by default. A simple fix.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• Staff
On 7/26/2020 at 9:28 AM, Fritz_H said:

no, it´s not.
It´s just one more of those far too many usability-issues the Affinity--Products have.

Checking the postings in these forums you will see that the number of complaints about missing features is declining
while more people are posting because the available tools are not behaving as expected. (#usability)

This is why we need clear and concise instructions from our users as to how they would prefer them to work so we can pass this back to the developers.

I can see a bug report tag in the post Jowday linked to however, we are doing some maintenance on the system so I can't check to see if that tag relates to the Maintain fill aslepct ratio button. For what it's worth, I think it should be an opt-in and not opt-out button too. 

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

This is why we need clear and concise instructions from our users as to how they would prefer them to work so we can pass this back to the developers.

...yes, I agree...

BUT:

Good Usability deals with rules that are applicable not just to Software, but to any "Human-Computer-Interaction".
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human%E2%80%93computer_interaction)
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Mile_Island_accident)

In your case, some of the "natural" behavior of the human being ( = "user") is additionally strongly influenced by "other, very well known graphics-software products".

I think it´s very good to listen to the users, but please keep in mind, that some usability-design-rules will always over-rule user-requests.
e.g. which GUI-Colors to use/not to use; most people are right-handed => main-tools are on the right by default; visual/tactile/audible feedback is mandatory to indicate successful intertaction with the "system" etc.

11 hours ago, Chris B said:

I can see a bug report tag in the post Jowday linked to however, we are doing some maintenance on the system so I can't check to see if that tag relates to the Maintain fill aslepct ratio button. For what it's worth, I think it should be an opt-in and not opt-out button too. 

Default for an ellipse should NEVER be a circle with equal axes. If I want equal axes I would choose a radial gradient.

Sorry, I know it's a silly idea but, when I choose an ellipse -- I want an ellipse, not a circle.

Don't get me wrong, it isn't a deal  breaker when time comes to upgrade. It is just counter intuitive to a former Corel, PhotoPlus, Photoshop, AbilityPhoto, Gimp, etc. user.