You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

White Text on Black Background (was: Peter)

Greetings

I am a new devotee to Affinity Publisher having been a staunch QuarkXpress user for well over 20 years. One feature I have enjoyed in Quark has been the option to print a negative of a page. I use an iPad for keeping the text of speeches & it works better if I have white text on a black background. In Quark, I could print the page black text on a white background by clicking on a "negative" button. Any chance of this feature in Affinity please?

5 hours ago, PHWNZ said:

One feature I have enjoyed in Quark has been the option to print a negative of a page.

Hello @PHWNZ and welcome to the forum.

Sometimes I am amazed with which use cases people come up that I couldn't think of ... and I don't mean this in a negative way 🙂

In APub there is no option to output a negative of you layout but you may want to try this:

• Create a rectangle on top of a page you want to output as negative.
  • Set the rectangle's fill to black.
  • Set the rectangle's fill method (dropdown at the top of the layers panel) to 'Negation'.
  • This should turn your page to some kind of negative of its content.

Is this what you are looking for?

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

11 hours ago, PHWNZ said:

it works better if I have white text on a black background.

It already exists in Publisher, on the desktop, and presumably will in Publisher for iPad when it's available. You can set the font color to White on the Context Toolbar, then use the Text Frame studio panel (View > Studio > Text Frame) to set the Frame Fill to Black. (The exact mechanism may differ in the iPad UI, of course.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

It already exists in Publisher, on the desktop, and presumably will in Publisher for iPad when it's available. You can set the font color to White on the Context Toolbar, then use the Text Frame studio panel (View > Studio > Text Frame) to set the Frame Fill to Black. (The exact mechanism may differ in the iPad UI, of course.)

Well, that's perhaps the closest and most simple approach. Haven't thought of that 🙂

How can you refer to the iPad UI? It's not available, yet. Or did I miss something??

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

33 minutes ago, dominik said:

How can you refer to the iPad UI?

What’s wrong with Walt’s comment about that? :/

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

It already exists in Publisher, on the desktop, and presumably will in Publisher for iPad when it's available.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

15 minutes ago, Alfred said:

What’s wrong with Walt’s comment about that? :/

I did not mean to criticize Walt's comment. Now, after reading my wording again I realize that 'how can you ...' has a different meaning in english than in german. I did not pay attention to this during writing. Sorry.

What I meant to say is, does he know more about APub for iPad than the fact that they are working on it? I hardly belief so. Of course we all are bursting with curiosity about APub for iPad (at least I assume so).

I hope this makes my posting better understandable. Thanks for asking.
d.

14 minutes ago, dominik said:

What I meant to say is, does he know more about APub for iPad than the fact that they are working on it?

I don’t think we have good reason to believe such a thing, dominik. All he said was:

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

(The exact mechanism may differ in the iPad UI, of course.)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

I don’t think we have good reason to believe such a thing, dominik. 

Maybe you're right. I, perhaps, was a little over excited (maybe due to the heat around here). But I am getting off topic... 

d.

I merely presumed that there's a certain basic set of Publisher functionality on the desktop that must be available in Publisher for iPad, @dominik. After all, the .afpub files are expected to be interchangeable between desktop and iPad.

From comments that we've seen here by Serif staff, it seems that no one outside of the Publisher-on-iPad development team have seen it running yet.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

From comments that we've seen here by Serif staff, it seems that no one outside of the Publisher-on-iPad development team have seen it running yet.

Thanks for chiming in. This is my impression as well. As I said before, we'll have to be patient 🙂

d.