You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What other way could there be?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

11 hours ago, titch said:

Open up the images, process etc and then save all to desktop. 

Click on file, New Focus Merge (...)

Depending on the "process etc."  it might be more efficient to do it vice versa:

1. create the stack,
2. process the result.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Lets assume I want to stack three images and I open them up in Affinity and Develop them. The image numbers of all three  are under the top tool bar.  I then go to file, New focus merge and a panel appears for me to add the images.  I was hoping that I could drag or move the images to this panel without having to go to desktop and then add them.

On 7/25/2020 at 12:19 PM, titch said:

Lets assume I want to stack three images and I open them up in Affinity and Develop them. The image numbers of all three  are under the top tool bar.  I then go to file, New focus merge and a panel appears for me to add the images.  I was hoping that I could drag or move the images to this panel without having to go to desktop and then add them.

No, you can only create a stack from files that exist on disk.

And yes, you should load your RAW images, and Develop them, and export them to disk. You could create a stack from RAW images, but I would not recommend it as the RAW images won't go through the normal Develop Persona processing if you do that, and you probably won't like the results. You can simplify the process by using File > New Batch Job to convert the RAW files to TIFF format. Then use File > New Stack File > New Focus Merge to load the TIFF files.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 7/25/2020 at 7:43 PM, walt.farrell said:

Then use File > New Stack to load the TIFF files.

File > New Stack ?

or

File > New Focus Merge as regards the OP's problem?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

6 hours ago, carl123 said:

File > New Stack ?

or

File > New Focus Merge as regards the OP's problem?

Yes, New Focus Merge. Thanks.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

46 minutes ago, Aad Slingerland said:

Converting NEF (Nikon RAW) to TIFF is new to me. I did a lot of focus merge for macro foto's past spring and never was disappointed. However, next time I will follow this workflow just because i am curious 🙂

Affinity Photo allows you to directly construct a focus merge stack from RAW files, but if you try it you'll generally get results that are not as good as if you Develop the photos first. Currently, only File > Open and File > New Batch Job in Photo use the full Develop process, including the Develop Assistant options. Other uses of RAW files (File > Place, File > New Focus Merge, File > New Stack, etc., or using RAW files in Affinity applications other than Photo) will thus give different results, which may not be to your liking.

-- Walt
PC: